Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New installation, trouble with firmware update

Unhappy New installation, trouble with firmware update

After much research, I decided to have smart home too. Got a Caseta Smart Bridge (apologies if these are not the right terms) and one wall switch. I am slow with technology, so decided to start there. I connected the Smart Bridge to the router as instructed, downloaded the app and connected. The app told me that a Firmware update was required. Will take 8 to 15 minutes. I have now been doing it over and over again, but to no effect. I spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with tech support. He was awesome, asked me to do a bunch of stuff (most of which I had done after reading the forum), but nothing changed. The firmware stubbornly refuses to update. He sent me an email recommending that I check out the ports and all. Now I will not know a port if it bit me in the rear, but I believe all outgoing ports are already open. I have a Netgear C7000v2 and my ISP is Comcast. Not sure if these details matter. I downloaded Fing, and tried to connect via the IP address but landed with the same result.I would very much like to glide into the 21st century, but don't feel very smart at this point. I know that a number of posters faced similar issues and I tried to read as much as I could, but do not understand all the techy content.Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? -RajP.S: Apologies for the rambling post, but I needed to get it off my chest.

Since you have a separate router and modem, make sure the modem is in bridge mode. Smart devices like phones and computers are very good at finding their way to the Internet. Not so smart devices, like printers and Caseta Bridges, need help. You will have to call Comcast to confirm/change the bridge mode.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you Randy. I use my C7000v2 as the Modem as well. Initially, I was using the iOS app. I know it doesn't matter, but I used a friend's android device to download the app and give it a try (why do I still talk to people who use android?). After a few attempts, I got an error message that said I should call tech support and give them the error code 2312.The guy at the tech support (did I mention he was awesome?) said that this is likely due to an older system etc. He took down my information and shipped a new unit. It arrived in 3 days (these guys are just amazing). I successfully set it up and was able to program the system. I guess I am going to replace the entire house with these switches now. Customer for life. These guys rock. And so does this forum.(This also reminds me that I have to send the old Caseta Bridge back)

Your hub is feom 2017

your HUB will not work because Lutron updated their firmware server and the old hubs wont work. Call tech support and they will send you a new one for free. You probably got it on eBay. No biggie.

I'm having a similar problem to the OP. I have a network comprised of my cable modem hardwired to an Eero node (with two ports) and two more Eero nodes to make up my mesh network. I have a Phillips Hue bridge plugged into one of the other Eero nodes and it's working fine - setup was effortless. I got my Lutron bridge today and connected it to my other Eero node (I've also connected it to the same node as the Phillips bridge with the same results) and I'm getting the dreaded "Wait 8 to 15 minutes to update the firmware" message. I called Lutron support and contrary to what everyone else seems to say, I found their support person extremely short and condescending to me. She had me press and hold buttons and look for light patterns and in the end, sent me an email with a list of things to "ask my ISP about to make sure my modem was set up correctly". Using info from other posts, I have gotten the app into Advanced mode where I enter the IP of the bridge but still end up trying to do the firmware update. Do I really need to call my ISP and ask them all these questions:Multicasting is enabled Access Point Isolation is disabled The following ports need to be open/accessible: Outbound: 80 (TCP), 123 (UDP), 443 (TCP), 8883 (TCP), 7443 (TCP) Inbound: No port forwarding required. Local Network: 22 (SFTP), 23 (TCP), 1900 (UDP multicast), 4548 (TCP), 5353 (UDP multicast), 8081 (TCP), 8083 (TCP)The fact that the Phillips bridge is working fine, seems to indicate that my network is fine but who knows. Any insight on my problem?

(Replying to my own post) Well, I guess it pays to get the right support person when you call.

I called Support back because fiddling with the cable modem settings (frankly, it's just a dumb modem so I don't even thing is has those settings) didn't seem like the right path.

I got someone else who had me look closer at the info on the bottom of the bridge. He determined that this was an old bridge and was probably never going to update - just like the post above about having a bridge from 2017. He's sending out a new bridge that should do the trick (fingers crossed).

I suppose I'm partially to blame. I bought this on eBay (reluctantly). I know the risks but I thought I was safe because it was new in the box - and indeed, it came in an unopened factory box. It's even the latest model, L-BDG2. I guess I didn't think it would be an incompatible older version.