Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: CL Maestro Dimmer with a LOUD buzzing sound

CL Maestro Dimmer with a LOUD buzzing sound

Hello,
    I currently own 2 Lutron Dimmers in single pole applications.
    On friday, I purchased a new C.L Digital Dimmer Maestro to add to my kitchen. It's in a single pole configuration. I read the compatibility bulb list before i purchased new LED lights. I purchased Cree's BR30: BBR30-06550FLF-12DE26-1U100.
    However, unlike my other Lutron Dimmer I have in the basement which has a buzzing sound but you can't hear it unless you're 2 inches from the bulb, these Cree Bulbs buzz like a refrigerator's compressor or a really old flourescent ready to die ballast. That's how loud this buzzing sound is. At first I thought my bulbs were defective. But, I installed the original single pole switch and no buzzing whatsoever.
    What gives? I bought the dimmer for 30 bucks plus tax, I bought the bulbs said to be fully compatible with this dimmer yet there's a high buzzing sound. Not only that but another defect is the dimming. I press and hold the on/off button and the down toggle to adjust the dimming level. However, when i do it to the lowest dimming set, the lights will not turn on. Even on the 3rd light dimming level point(starting from the bottom), the lights will not turn on at all when they're dimmed all the way down. They have to be adjusted to the mid point of the dimming leveling for the lights to turn on.

My configuration is as follows:
    - 4 Recessed cans made by halo.
    - 4 BR30 Daylight bulbs.
    - 1 Lutron Maestro dimmer switch in single pole configuration.

What's funny is that, just for kicks and laughs, I went ahead and switched my basement 2700K Cree BR30 bulbs for these Daylight Cree BR30 bulbs and there is a buzzing sound but it's not noticable. However, when I put the 2700k basement Cree BR30 bulbs in the kitchen, the same buzzing sound occurs. Same problems. I don't know if its the dimmer or my wiring? My wiring has 3 wires: Black, White and Bare which is the normal 14-2 nmb romex.

Thanks in advanced. And if everything behaves like this bulb, then where can i get my money back? Because before I made my purchases, i clearly read Lutron's directions on their own website.

Some bulbs buzz a lot, and some bulbs do not dim (correctly or at all). For example, I purchased Philips LED fixture once, and it was buzzing louder than refrigerator, and would not dim down - it would stay the same brightness whatever the level was set on a dimmer. And this is despite the fact that it was sold as "dimmable LED" fixture. I would have returned it promptly if I could - it was too late at that point. If it is not late for you, return those bulbs and get ones which work.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Some bulbs buzz a lot, and some bulbs do not dim (correctly or at all). For example, I purchased Philips LED fixture once, and it was buzzing louder than refrigerator, and would not dim down - it would stay the same brightness whatever the level was set on a dimmer. And this is despite the fact that it was sold as "dimmable LED" fixture. I would have returned it promptly if I could - it was too late at that point. If it is not late for you, return those bulbs and get ones which work.
    it's not the bulbs though. I just purchased new Philips bulbs and it's the same issue. But when I put them down on the basement with the another Maestro dimmer, the buzzing isn't bad at all. It buzzes but you can't hear it. With this dimmer in the kitchen, the bulbs buzz and it's unbearably loud.

Katie H.
    We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your applications. Unfortunately, there is currently no industry standard when it comes to manufacturing LEDs and the performance will vary greatly from one to the next. When LEDs are used on a dimming control, depending on the design of the bulb, they can produce high current spikes. These high spikes may cause the bulbs or the dimmer itself to produce an audible buzz or hum. Due to design and manufacturing variation, the volume of this buzz will differ from one to the next.

While using the LED Compatible Bulb List will get you a compatible bulb, it is possible some of these bulbs will buzz. Highly audible buzzing could mean that the led manufacturer made some design improvements or changes that cause this dimmer and lamp combination to buzz. Since led manufacturers do not inform dimmer manufacturers of changes, we do not find out about it until customers contact us. We can suggest choosing a different brand of bulb or contacting the LED manufacturer to see if they have a dimmer (such as an ELV or reverse phase control dimmer) that they can recommend which will not produce an audible noise.

If you visit www.lutron.com/ledtool you will be able to generate a list of compatible LED products for our dimming controls. This list will link you to report cards which will list the performance you will experience with our controls and the LED’s listed. If buzzing is noticed during testing it will be listed at the bottom of the page under “Test Comments”. Buzzing results may also be listed in the right hand column under “Comments”.

Hi guys,
    I am also facing a similar problem, not only that, but the opacity is also a disadvantage. To alter the blur level, I press and hold the on/off button as well as the down switch.

slope game