Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote Programming over VPN

Remote Programming over VPN

Greetings,

I have an RR2 system at fw 9.2 located at a remote site. That remote site has an Asus RT-AC68U router with a PPTP VPN. I am able to do just about everything else with other systems across the VPN except transfer RR2 programming. Attempting to send programming results in a message stating, "Syncing was incomplete. Please check your network connection and try again. Caution: Continuing further will overwrite your homeowner programming tweaks."

I would really like to be able to this remotely as it's a far away site that often needs changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

It's probably using a protocol that doesn't work with the VPN. But check the VPN client and server settings to ensure that all traffic is routing through the tunnel and that things like broadcasting are enabled. You could also try OpenVPN instead of PPTP as that is way more powerful. But it requires much more complex configuration than PPTP as well.

I am having the exact same issue, but I cant even connect to the RA2 Main Repeater remotely over PPTP. Using Pakedge RE-2 router. I can connect and transfer to any Crestron device there, but no good for the Lutron. I can ping it remotely over the VPN no problem. System has already been activated and loaded in by a tech on site. Being forced to use a technicians laptop via Teamviewer to make any changes.

Ive read all the other topics about this and tried all suggestions in them with no luck. They suggested after the system is initially transferred and activated locally that VPN connections will work without issue. Why is this so difficult to get working? Dont have this issue with QS systems.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Lutron has recently discovered that with firmware 9.0 to 9.2, it may cause the Radio Ra2 software to not connect to the Main Repeater through a VPN. We are aware of what is causing the issue and the next release of the Radio Ra2 software will resolve this issue.

And when should we expect this release?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    Lutron has recently discovered that with firmware 9.0 to 9.2, it may cause the Radio Ra2 software to not connect to the Main Repeater through a VPN. We are aware of what is causing the issue and the next release of the Radio Ra2 software will resolve this issue.
    Could you please expedite this? In this day and age it's quite lame to have to drive to remote sites or use local dev machines for software/programming maintenance. Many of our customers are simply not going to receive any Lutron dealer support until this is resolved. Distances and schedules will prohibit it.

7. Thanks johnmax thanked for this post
    Yes this is ridiculous that this isnt being fixed asap. I have to roll a truck to implement changes for a client. Had to do it twice in the last week when I could have done it right from my desk, instead of having my guy drive over an hour each way- Lost 5+ hours of productivity.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. We are working to resolve the issue and will know the next release date shortly.

Any update on this? I have changes that need to be made next week to a site and want to avoid wasting 3 hours of driving for a simple load.

You're still going to have to roll the truck at least once. You will need to update the system on site to the new version that will hopefully resolve VPN. I would plan on doing a phone tether to your PC or some other off-LAN means of testing VPN compatibility with the new version before you celebrate.

I am up to three remote sites now that are not getting service until this is resolved. I told the clients that it's a Lutron issue that Lutron needs to resolve. Two of the three are fine for now. The third is pissed. I directed him to call Lutron to complain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast