Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remote Programming over VPN

Well, its interesting that remote programming address is working when you're on the VPN.... I assumed that selecting 'remote programming' implied that you would have port forwarding setup on your router to the main repeater and NOT connect via VPN, hence the remote programming address would be the public IP (the help bubble mentions the router address). If you connect via VPN, it seems like Remote Programming Address and use repeater's address would effectively be the same thing- unicast to the main repeater but maybe theres something different going on.... sure would be nice to have documentation somewhere!

So, I did have success transferring via vpn when selecting 'Use Main Repeater's Address"... I'm guessing the earlier transferring issue I had was unrelated to the VPN issue (couldn't sync homeowners edits).

I believe I've come up with a solution allowing remote programming over a VPN link. The fundamental problem with doing this, as I think a few have mentioned, is that most routers block broadcast traffic from entering the LAN via the VPN connection. As a result, the Ra2 software cannot locate the Main Repeater for that initial program load. Communication with the Main Repeater over the VPN connection may be possible if the programming file has connected to the Main Repeater while connected to the LAN, as it will then have the Main Repeater's IP address (assuming it was set up with IP Reservation in the router, or fixed in the Main Repeater and has not changed).

I say I may have a solve because I found a VPN router that allows access to an "Advanced" setting window that allows Broadcast traffic to move into the LAN from the VPN connection (and vice-versa). I will be running a test next week on a HomeWorks QS project configured by another programmer. I tried Extracting the file over VPN last week w/o success. Hopefully, this attempt, using the test router, will work. I may be bit presumptive to assume my findings also apply to the Ra2 Main Repeater, but I think the fundamental problem we're all facing is the same with both platforms.

IF we know the IP of the repeater why can't Lutron just allow us to find it on the network and connect? The whole discover every time via Multicast is not a very good way to manage a device.

Quote Originally Posted by Toslink View Post
    I believe I've come up with a solution allowing remote programming over a VPN link. The fundamental problem with doing this, as I think a few have mentioned, is that most routers block broadcast traffic from entering the LAN via the VPN connection. As a result, the Ra2 software cannot locate the Main Repeater for that initial program load. Communication with the Main Repeater over the VPN connection may be possible if the programming file has connected to the Main Repeater while connected to the LAN, as it will then have the Main Repeater's IP address (assuming it was set up with IP Reservation in the router, or fixed in the Main Repeater and has not changed).

I say I may have a solve because I found a VPN router that allows access to an "Advanced" setting window that allows Broadcast traffic to move into the LAN from the VPN connection (and vice-versa). I will be running a test next week on a HomeWorks QS project configured by another programmer. I tried Extracting the file over VPN last week w/o success. Hopefully, this attempt, using the test router, will work. I may be bit presumptive to assume my findings also apply to the Ra2 Main Repeater, but I think the fundamental problem we're all facing is the same with both platforms.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    drwho2000, in the advanced settings for the Main Repeater it can be set up to use Unicasting. Multicasting is only required for the initial setup, once discovered you can set it to a static IP with a unicast address and then connect to it via a VPN. You can reference our Residential Networking guide or email systemsupport@lutron.com if you have any more detailed questions.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...king_Guide.pdf

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot seem to find the direct IP field that was mentioned in other threads. Here is a screen shot (with IP's anonymized) of my Repeater with the advanced link checked. I was able to get to my repeater remotely by configuring Multicast (IGMP) on my VPN gateway and I can now connect and transfer to my main repeater. I still cannot get this to work over wireless as my wireless equipment does not support Multicast.

Here is the forum post from the VPN thread but this is on 10.7. It appears that this option is not available in 11.0?

Quote Quote
    After trying to remote program for what seems like a long while, and much frustration, I finally got it. Lets see how long it lasts. I was trying with the new 11.0 version of both Repeater Firmware and software... it didn't work. I downgraded back to 10.7 and everything worked great (go figure). Also when you click "Find Main Repeater" on the design tab, and then "Show Advanced" I found that the Remote Programming Address is NOT the public IP address or Domain name of the router as stated in the pop up quick quick tip, it IS the IP address of the main repeater on the LAN on site. It also helps if you close one eye, stick out and bite your tongue. I hope this helps someone that was as frustrated as me. For the on site router I am using the Asus RT-ac66u, with the stock firmware, also using the free asus DNS for the VPN. Pretty easy to setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    drwho2000, in the advanced settings for the Main Repeater it can be set up to use Unicasting. Multicasting is only required for the initial setup, once discovered you can set it to a static IP with a unicast address and then connect to it via a VPN. You can reference our Residential Networking guide or email systemsupport@lutron.com if you have any more detailed questions.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...king_Guide.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 1.37.39 PM.png  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234