Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remote Programming over VPN

Ah ok My bad I was in QS mode today and I happened to be on resi.lutron and saw that QS version there. You know how the pre-holidays rush goes..

Next time I have to make the change I will check out the beta. Thanks!

I can't seem to find anything more recent past 2015 about remote programming. Is there a better way or a better router now for VPN access. Better notes on how to set it up... anything?

You might find it much simpler to setup something like a TeamViewer server on your RA2 system. You create an account w/TeamViewer, setup the server, and then use TeamViewer to connect to your remote system. Its really pretty trivial.

Hey I was wondering if anyone had luck with a vpn and remote programming and any tips/tricks to get it to work... I'm on a mac running parallels and have tried 'shared network' and connecting to the vpn on the mac side via openvpn. I've also tried bridged network and tried openvpn and pptp on the windows side and I'm able to see the main repeater when system communications is set for 'use repeater's address' and it'll let me hit 'save and close'... interestingly, if I change it to use multicast address it can't find the main repeater and then if i select 'use main repeater's address' again it'll see the main repeater but when I hit save/close it'll throw up an error- Communication to the Main Repeater has failed... if i don't change the setting to use multicast address and then go into the transfer window and hit transfer it'll sit there for 20 seconds and then give the warning that it can't sync homeowner's edits do I want to continue... too chicken to try that one!

Finally, I've tried the "use remote programming" option and have setup port forwarding on my router to attempt to communicate that way... no go either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... I'd hate to drive all the way out there to turn off a keypad backlight!!!!!

Where you able to remedy this? If so would you mind telling me how? I've got the ac66u, I can find the repeater but when I go to transfer it says the repeater is not there.

No, I'm still stumped and not sure what else to try at this point...

so, when I went onsite today and attempted to transfer it gave me the same error- something along the lines of can't sync homeowners edits do I want to continue. I went ahead and fired it up and it transferred fine- luckily this client doesn't use the app much (yet). I'll try a transfer via VPN next week when the client isn't around....

I've finally got the VPN itself working. Now when using the version 11.0 of the software remotely it says it can find the repeater but that it is offline which I don't really understand because its online and working onsite. Then when I enter the programming address (I understand its supposed to be the router address on the LAN of the VPN router, maybe its supposed to be IP address of the router of the network I'm on?) the software can NOT find the repeater. Has anyone seen or experienced this, know a fix?

Talking Remote Programming Finally Working

In full disclosure I don't fulling understand this, just sharing what works for me. If anyone can get it working in 11.0 let me know.

After trying to remote program for what seems like a long while, and much frustration, I finally got it. Lets see how long it lasts. I was trying with the new 11.0 version of both Repeater Firmware and software... it didn't work. I downgraded back to 10.7 and everything worked great (go figure). Also when you click "Find Main Repeater" on the design tab, and then "Show Advanced" I found that the Remote Programming Address is NOT the public IP address or Domain name of the router as stated in the pop up quick quick tip, it IS the IP address of the main repeater on the LAN on site. It also helps if you close one eye, stick out and bite your tongue. I hope this helps someone that was as frustrated as me. For the on site router I am using the Asus RT-ac66u, with the stock firmware, also using the free asus DNS for the VPN. Pretty easy to setup.

Just a couple notes that will seem obvious to most, in the Advanced Screen.

IP Address: IP Address of the Repeater on the LAN
    Gateway Address: LAN IP of router on site
    Preferred DNS server: LAN IP of router on site
    Alternate DNS 8.8.8.8
    System Address: Automatically Assigned
    Remote Programming Address: As stated above, IP Address of Main Repeater on on site LAN

> it IS the IP address of the main repeater on the LAN on site. It

Yes, of course. Your VPN creates a route from your system to the remote LAN's IP address range*. So, you want to talk to the device just like you are on the LAN physically (since all those addresses are mapped to, and accessible by, your system). If you try to use the LANs router as the IP address, the router has no idea what to do with your request - it thinks you're talking to it. And LAN domain names don't make sense since the world's DNS systems are not privy to them, and most likely your customer's router and your VPN isn't providing you with the DNS entries necessary for you to use FQDN hosts.

This is why some of us here suggested not using a VPN - they aren't for the faint of heart. But, if you can get the VPN to work, its the best method to use as it has the fewest complications (of using an internal system that must be maintained, booted, re-booted, patched, etc.).

* a VPN could allow only access to a single IP, but that's a different topic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast