Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta and Philips Hue Question

Caseta and Philips Hue Question

Just wondering if anyone is running Philips hue bulbs in conjunction with Lutron Caseta dimmers and what the experience is like?

I have done this previously with an automation system, and it was far from ideal, as the bulbs did not respond to the dimmer the way a traditional incandescent bulb does. Effectively, it turns the dimmers into switches, and you lose dimming capability on the wall as it needs to be done directly through the hue app.

Is this still the case? I would like the bulbs to respond like a traditional incandescent, and give me dimming capability through my existing dimmer switches, defaulting to white light. I have no problem using the Hue app to change colors, but don't want to lose dimming capability of my switches if going with Hue. I far prefer smart switches to bulbs, hence I went with Caseta, and would stick with regular bulbs if this is the usage case.

Can an anyone confirm? Thanks.

Philips does not recommend using the bulbs with dimmers per their FAQ.

Guess that means it hasn't changed or won't be possible, given dimmers cut the voltage and LED bulbs don't like this?
    Not what I'm after then. Smart bulbs can be made dumb quickly just by flipping the switch.

Tazplex-
    It's probably safe to assume that the wireless component of the Hue is going to require a pretty consistent voltage to operate. Their dimming occurs internally at the bulb. If the full color range (RGB) isn't required, there are current products and several more options coming that have LED bulbs that will mimic an incandescence's color curve.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by Tazplex View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is running Philips hue bulbs in conjunction with Lutron Caseta dimmers and what the experience is like?
    I use Philips Hue bulbs with RadioRA system (that would be step up from Caseta) and it works just fine. The key thing is to use both systems correctly, and that means that you would use Caseta dimmers and switches to control, for example, your overhead lights and some table lamps. Then, you add some Hue Bloom, Iris or lightstrip for ambiance. Or you can have some table lamps with Hue bulbs (or Hue beyond) on unswitched circuits.

Then you add third party automation system to setup scenes and rules to controls both systems at once.