Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Indicator lights on switch not on

Indicator lights on switch not on

OK this should be an easy one. I have a PD-6WCL switch that is connected to the bottom outlet of a standard 2 socket outlet. It was working just fine. I've decided to update the looks of the outlets in the house. So I swapped the 30 year old standard outlet with a decora style outlet. Want the outlets to look more like the switches. I was careful with hooking up the new one. Went 1 wire at a time so I know the new outlet is wired the same as the old one was. Now the outlet still works but not with the switch. My only clue that I messed up something is that the indicator LED lights on the switch are no longer on. So what did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by warped6 View Post
    OK this should be an easy one. I have a PD-6WCL switch that is connected to the bottom outlet of a standard 2 socket outlet. It was working just fine. I've decided to update the looks of the outlets in the house. So I swapped the 30 year old standard outlet with a decora style outlet. Want the outlets to look more like the switches. I was careful with hooking up the new one. Went 1 wire at a time so I know the new outlet is wired the same as the old one was. Now the outlet still works but not with the switch. My only clue that I messed up something is that the indicator LED lights on the switch are no longer on. So what did I do wrong?
    If you look at the side of the receptacle you will see a metal tab that connects the top and bottom halves of the receptacle. If you look at the old receptacle you will see the tab on the hot/brass side had been removed. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers or a screw driver to wiggle the tab until it breaks free.

DO NOT remove the tab on the neutral/silver side.

I also would not dim a wall outlet. Bad things can happen.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you! OK I see the tab. Will remove it. Learn something new. I knew it was something dumb.Bad things? Yikes! OK will replace it. What kind of bad things? You have be curious now.