Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Occupancy Lighting for Workshop Spaces

Question Occupancy Lighting for Workshop Spaces

I'm looking for advice on designing control for two workshop spaces with large lighting loads.Both spaces are 30'x25'. One has approx 1200 watts of fluorescent tube lights (2x 32w tube per fixture, 18 fixtures); the other has a pair of halide high-bay lights (best guess 400w each, I don't have a ladder long enough to read the ballast labels).Two questions:What's the best practice in cases where the load exceeds the RRD-8ANS rating?- LMJ-16R-DV-B to control the load and Pico remotes at the switch locations seems like it would work, but will I come to regret not having a physical switch somewhere?- RRD-8ANS controlling a relay that controls the load- something else?What is the best way to minimize "false vacancies" (ie occupancy sensor turns the lights off when someone is there)?My concern is that someone typing (fine motion) or working under a vehicle has the lights go out on them. The halides in particular take a long time to re-strike the arc when they are warm.Will multiple LRF2 sensors around the space be sufficient, or do I need to consider an ultrasonic/dual-tech/other sensor for this application?Thanks for your input.

Formatting

I'm looking for advice on designing control for two workshop spaces with large lighting loads.
    Both spaces are 30'x25'. One has approx 1200 watts of fluorescent tube lights (2x 32w tube per fixture, 18 fixtures); the other has a pair of halide high-bay lights (best guess 400w each, I don't have a ladder long enough to read the ballast labels).
    Two questions:
    What's the best practice in cases where the load exceeds the RRD-8ANS rating?
    - LMJ-16R-DV-B to control the load and Pico remotes at the switch locations seems like it would work, but will I come to regret not having a physical switch somewhere?
    - RRD-8ANS controlling a relay that controls the load- something else?
    What is the best way to minimize "false vacancies" (ie occupancy sensor turns the lights off when someone is there)?.
    My concern is that someone typing (fine motion) or working under a vehicle has the lights go out on them. The halides in particular take a long time to re-strike the arc when they are warm.
    [left]Will multiple LRF2 sensors around the space be sufficient, or do I need to consider an ultrasonic/dual-tech/other sensor for this application?Thanks for your input.

If you do a relay/contactor, make sure it is rated for lighting. You could always use the PHPM-SW-DV.

Mounting a Pico to the wall and putting a plate around it is just as functional as having a 8ANS on the wall.

It's hard to say without knowing the physical layout. RPS sensors are pretty good at detecting fine motion. The farther away you get the less they can detect. They definitely can't see through or under cars.

Tech support is good at that stuff. If you send them the info (probably a floor plan), they will help you choose and layout the sensors.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com