Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MA-L3S25 with LED??

MA-L3S25 with LED??

Purchased two of these to run a dimmable LED (10 watt) and bottom switch to run a small LED night light.

Guy at Home Depot told me it will work but looking at the wattage, it’s rated for 150-250. I don’t think these will work. Also states halogen bulbs. I think he was mistaken because it says LED on the box but these are the small LED’s on the switch that tell you dimmer level.

Is there a MA-L3S25 that will work with LED’s?

Thanks

The MA-L3S25 is a forward-phase dimmer so it will work with LEDs that are forward-phase.

Th L3S25 was engineered before LEDs were a thing. It has a pretty high minimum load (probably 50 watts) and has no trim adjustment. Finding compatible LEDs is going to be hit-and-miss.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Agree with Randy here (as always he is wise). This dimmer was not made with LEDs in mind. Yes, it's a forward phase dimmer, same as the CL dimmers, but it doesn't have the extra circuitry to deal with LED lights' low power consumption so the light will not dim nice, if at all and won't be stable. Trust me, you're asking for frustration. Get an LED rated dimmer and if you have to, just add another gang to the box to make room.

Installed two different switches for two similar projects.
    Everything works nice with the dimming function which is surprising, except the light will not 100% turn off. Stuck on lowest dim setting.
    I just read the last reply after the install. I guess I should have read it earlier...

From what I can see no one makes a similar light to this, set up for LED’s.
    Any chance I can install a resistor into the hot wire to lower the voltage? Perhaps that would work?

On another note, the second switch I received is dead. Nothing works on it. Installed exactly the same as the first switch. Super disappointing...

Advice?

I guess I should explain what I’m using the two switches for.

Dimmer switch is used to dim a 10watt LED.
    Bottom switch (no dimmer) used to turn in a night light in the same assembly (another LED).
    Night light works great. On and turns all the way off.
    Dimmer, not so much. Stuck on lowest dim setting..

Resistor on outlet line? Or is it back feeding somehow?

Going to be taking this other switch back for a new one.. But if I can’t completely turn off the light would like to switch it for something else...