Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Product request: DIVA COLOR CHANGING KITS

Product request: DIVA COLOR CHANGING KITS

One of the best things about Lutron is that you can replace colors without replacing the device. If you have a Maestro dimmer, you can order a RK-D-WH or whatever for around $10 and not have to replace an entire maestro dimmer or change the programming if it's part of a system. Same for keypads and a variety of other products. Unfortunately, the same is not available for Diva dimmers.

On top of that, Diva's paddle have a spring behind them that is held with a fragile plastic tab that breaks off overtime causing the dimmer to not be able to turn off. All it takes to fix it is a new paddle plate so instead of spending $10 on a new one, customers have to pay $30 to replace the whole dimmer when the actual dimmer is perfectly fine.

I've found myself saving old plates from damaged dimmers so I can offer that and save customers money.

Someone at Tech Support told me that they cannot advertise the faceplates as interchangeable as that would void their UL rating. I agree it is something they need to figure out how to overcome, since these things do break.

Interesting...I hope someone could confirm that and explain how is that different from a Maestro dimmer or See-Touch Hybrid keypad which do allow for faceplate replacement and are both line voltage dimmers? It's always fun to see how they come to these decisions and whether it's technical or marketing! Also, I remember around 15 years ago, they gave our lighting supplier a whole Satin Color faceplate kit so if we would ask for a rare color that they didn't keep in stock, they could just flip the face plate. It wasn't for sale individually but they can easily do it unless what you say is true. Also, while I'm dating myself, I remember that the Diva dimmers of early 2000's had a smaller plastic restrainer so they would break off a lot easier than they do now but they still do break off.

It's also harder to find the older dimmers in stock - for example if I go to a house that has a broken 3-way 1000VA MLV diva, there is no way Home Depot carries that in stock and chances are my lighting supplier either doesn't have it or it would cost $100 to get it so it's practical to buy a CL dimmer from HD and put that plate on and get stuck with a faceless CL dimmer! Just last week I had to work on a 10 gang box that 2 broken plates, all 1000 watt 3-ways and the wiring so mangled up that it would take 2 hours to take them all out to be able to disconnect the wiring to put in a new one so it saved time and money to just sacrifice two more CL dimmers....so now I have 3 faceless CL dimmers.