Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Install issues - Flashing and Resetting

Caseta Install issues - Flashing and Resetting

I installed the following caseta hardware in my home:
    - 7 PD-5NE ELV+ dimmers
    - 2 PD-6ANS switches

I am experiencing some issues:
    "Flashing" - Approximately once every 30 seconds or so, when a 5NE dimmer is in a dimmed position, the light will "flash" up to its full brightness for a fraction of a second. Almost like a voltage surge or something. When at full brightness, I don't notice anything

"Resetting" - Once every 10 - 15 minutes or so, when a 5NE dimmer is in a dimmed position, the light will turn off completely and then return to the dimmed state that it was in before it "reset." When at full brightness, I don't experience any issues.I experience these issues in all zones but are most pronounced in ELV zones and I have only seen the "reset" in ELV zones.

About the loads:
    - In all zones, incandescent or halogen bulbs are being used
    - 2 zones (bathrooms) contain MLV transformers so forward dimming is being used
    - 4 zones contain ELV transformers so trailing dimming is being used
    - 1 zone is incandescents with no transformer so I have tried using both forward and trailing but mainly leave it on forward

Wiring:
    - Neutral wiring throughout my home so neutrals are connected for all dimmers and switches
    - LED strip load on one of the switches so a LUT-MLC is being used to prevent flashing

I've tried changing bulbs and isolating switches from the system but I haven't found anything that has had an effect.

Tried speaking to Lutron support but the tech that I spoke to did have any good ideas. I also emailed Lutron support and the tech thought there could be some neutral wire noise but I don't know how to fix that.

Any ideas?

Not all white wires are neutrals. You can use a meter to measure between the hot and white. You should get ~120v. Or you can connect just the neutral and the hot to the dimmer (no load) and the LED indicators on the dimmer should work.

Check the wiring. Devices with red and black leads are polarity sensitive. Power-in must be connected to the black lead.

Check the forward/reverse settings. Halogen won't care but MLV loads won't like trailing edge dimming. They will do weird things like flash every 30 seconds. I know you have probably checked it 6 times but 7 is a lucky number!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Not all white wires are neutrals. You can use a meter to measure between the hot and white. You should get ~120v. Or you can connect just the neutral and the hot to the dimmer (no load) and the LED indicators on the dimmer should work. Check the wiring. Devices with red and black leads are polarity sensitive. Power-in must be connected to the black lead.Check the forward/reverse settings. Halogen won't care but MLV loads won't like trailing edge dimming. They will do weird things like flash every 30 seconds. I know you have probably checked it 6 times but 7 is a lucky number!
    Good thoughts. I hadn't thought to check the neutrals. I'll give it a shot and report back.