Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Homeworks 4

Homeworks 4

Hey Everyone. My keypads have all stopped working with the top lite on each box illuminated. I can operate all the buttons when connected to Illumination and using "Real Time" button. I have tried rebooting the processor and reloading the program. Any ideas on how to get the keypads all working again? Thanks in advance.

It is probably the power supply. As they age they just don't have the output to power the keypads. You may measure proper voltage at the keypad but under load the power supply may not be able to keep up.

You can use an external power supply. Disconnect pin 2 (power) from the keypad link and connect your power supply to pin 1 (common) and what was connected to pin 2.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Randy,Thanks for this. I assume that you are speaking of the two blue wires coming from the power supply to the bottom of processor. If so, what are the power requirements of the power supply output.Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sailjt View Post
    Randy,Thanks for this. I assume that you are speaking of the two blue wires coming from the power supply to the bottom of processor. If so, what are the power requirements of the power supply output.Jim
    The blue wires power the processor itself. Be careful with the blue wires - the stab-on tabs soldered on the processor break easily. Very easily!

Depending on the number of keypads you have, there may be a separate plug-in transformer with a barrel connector that plugs into the other end of the processor. If there isn't, you can always add one.

You will need to figure out which link (4, 5, or 6) is for the keypads. Just unplug them one at a time and see when the keypad LEDs go off.

You will need to remove the wire(s) from pin 2 of that connector and connect them to the hot(+) from your new transformer. Connect the common(-) from the new transformer to pin 1.

The original transformer was 15v 900ma.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks again. There was a 15v transformer which I have ordered and will hook up tomorrow.

Haha I had the exact same issue. It turned out to be the power supply getting weak. Mine was an off the shelf 2.0 Amp 15VDC, which is officially non-spec, but the original installer didn't get the panel based one and the official plug-in one only handles up to 10 devices (150 LEDS) so I either have to get another landing board and divide things up, or just go to an electronics store or amazon and buy a 3rd party one. I've also seen the official panel based power supplies die too so power supplies in general are kind of junky.