Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dimmer works, on/off doesn’t.

Dimmer works, on/off doesn’t.

Hi there, I’m trying to Install a Lutron (diva CL, dvwcl 153ph) and here is what is happening. The on off is NOT working and the Dimmer is working. The other switches work as normal. I have verified it is NOT the switch that is to blame.

Here is the set up:

1. At the top of the stairs, we have a three way switch.
    2. Base of the stairs, we have a four way switch.
    3. End of the hallways; we have a three way switch.

My problem is identical if I place the dimmer on either end switch. I have tried calling the four way switches, same result. The Lutron dimmer switch will not turn off or on, but it’s associated dimmer works as expected.

Any suggestions?

Additional information:1. I have multiple of these dimmers in the house. No other issues (though, others are on single or three-way)2. All lights are LED and are rated for dimmable.3. At times, during initial on/off (using the other switches) lights will flash on/off for a moment, then settle and operate normal.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    If you try installing this dimmer somewhere else in your home to test functionality, that would be the first thing we'd want to verify. If the dimmer works there, then we'll know that the issue is related to that circuit. If the dimmer still doesn't work there, then please reach out to our Technical Support department and we'll be happy to help you out.

Hi Mike, I have tried this on another circuit (both 3-way and single, but only have one 4 circuit system - this one - to try it out on) and it WORKS on other circuits. My electrician is telling me it is NOT circuit related (for what that may be worth). The circuit works fine with a non-dimmer switch (ie: basic on off switches). For simplicity: I have the two travellers connected to the red and red/white on the dimmer, then line coming into the black on the dimmer. Any other ideas to check before contact another electrician ;) ?

Also tried (on the affected circuit) bypassing the 4 way switch and capping the final 3 way (thus making it a single pole) - that worked fine. This appears to be a 4 way circuit issue.

I would bypass the 4-way by tying the 2 reds together and the 2 blacks together and verify the operation as a 3-way circuit.

4-ways can vary. You may have the 2 reds on the left with their matching blacks on the right or you may have the 2 reds on the top with their matching blacks on the bottom.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Tried that. Same result.

I am able to replicate this with two different Lutron (same model) switches.

Same result when: 4 circuit (2x3-way, 1x4-way), 3 circuit (2x3 way) and single pole.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi Bdevenny, it sounds like there may be an issue with the dimmer at this point. I would recommend reaching out to our Tech Support team so we can take the next steps.