Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: lights appear to come on by themselves

lights appear to come on by themselves

In my attached garage I have a ceiling mounted motion sensor, 3 light fixtures a dimmer and 2 remote dimmers. At random times I find these garage lights on in the middle of the night with garage doors shut and nobody in the garage. Is there a way to see a log or something that would show what triggered the light to turn on? I double checked the programming in Essentials version 12.x and can't find anything unusual. Thanks, Eric

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi Eric. Yes, in the software while connected to the repeater, you can go to help> support> create support file and it will pull a support file that you can e-mail into systemsupport@lutron.com. Make sure you give a very descriptive description of the issue in your e-mail and it will get looked into. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post
    In my attached garage I have a ceiling mounted motion sensor, 3 light fixtures a dimmer and 2 remote dimmers. At random times I find these garage lights on in the middle of the night with garage doors shut and nobody in the garage. Is there a way to see a log or something that would show what triggered the light to turn on? I double checked the programming in Essentials version 12.x and can't find anything unusual. Thanks, Eric
    You could use a telnet program on a computer to connect to the main repeater. PuTTY is a decent one:

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~...ty/latest.html

Login, username lutron, password integration. You could then issue some commands at the GNET prompt to show actions as they take place.

A decent terminal emulator program will keep a scrollback buffer, so you can page back through the events.

Pg 12 of the Integration documentation shows the MON commands involved.

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ary/040249.pdf

This, I think, would spew an entry for everything:

#MONITORING,255,1

You'll see various DEVICE, OUTPUT and other commands rolling by as activity takes place. You'll need to take the first number and cross-reference that against an export of your integration IDs (you can export this from inside Essentials).

Turn it back off using:

#MONITORING,255,2

The raw log here has no timestamps, so you can't easily tell when things happened. So you might want to temporarily create some sort of 'fake' timed action, and look for that in the scrollback log.

An alternative would be to use a 3rd party automation system and whatever logging it provides.

If you don't see any logged activity then it'd be likely the dimmer is having some sort of trouble and might need replacing.

I have found that this can at times be a firmware issue. Factory resetting and re-uploading to the main repeater will sometimes fix it.