Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Backup Pico in case Ra2 goes down due to internet/power loss with shades

Backup Pico in case Ra2 goes down due to internet/power loss with shades

I have a client who has had their shades be unusable due to either internet or power loss to their Ra2 system and they were wondering if there was a way to use a Pico as a backup remote. They currently use picos wall mounted that control multiple shades in a room, but they said when the internet went out, they lost the ability to open/close them. Just wondering what the best option is for them. I didn't know if I could assign a pico without using Ra2 to the shades and not lose the Ra2 connection in the process.

The shade nor the Pico can be part of a RA2 system and a stand-alone system. It has to be one or the other.

The Pico itself doesn't store any programming. It needs the main repeater to translate and tell the devices what to do.

Keypads do store programming. If you lose the main repeater but have power to the shade and the keypad, it will work. The keypad and shade would need to be within 30 feet of each other, maybe closer depending on construction.

If you lose Ethernet/Internet the only thing you should lose is app control.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Thank you.I think they are using Pico's that are wall mounted, so that's probably why they didn't work when the network and power went down. If the internet was down, their phones very likely switched to cellular when they detected that there was no internet on wifi.

Keypad connect to main repeater?

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The shade nor the Pico can be part of a RA2 system and a stand-alone system. It has to be one or the other.The Pico itself doesn't store any programming. It needs the main repeater to translate and tell the devices what to do. Keypads do store programming. If you lose the main repeater but have power to the shade and the keypad, it will work. The keypad and shade would need to be within 30 feet of each other, maybe closer depending on construction. If you lose Ethernet/Internet the only thing you should lose is app control.
    I reset my 10 button keypad and now it doesn't do anything (I thought I could get the other buttons to work that weren't). The main repeater should have the original homeowner's setup. Using the buttons on the keypad and on the main repeater, is there a simple way to reconnect them? I assume the programming is still stored in the repeater. I don't have a password to get into the repeater setup (it may be the default?) Let me know if my sense of how this works is incorrect. My 20 foot tall blinds are all askew. I don't know if or where I'd be able to hit a button on them to activate from scratch. Many thanks in advance!

You will need the programming software to re-activate the keypad, then do a system transfer. That should put it back to the way it was before.