Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bought house with old Homeworks system - need update help

Bought house with old Homeworks system - need update help

Hi I purchased a large house from the early 200s that had a fairly elaborate homeworks system installed. There’s several graphik eyes and maybe 150 switches. I want to get rid of the whole thing and put something”modern” in but I’m getting quotes upwards of 70k+ to update to a current homeworks system. I have no use for the elaborate control system and hidden switches so I’d like to bring it to more of a “conventional” system with switches and some remote and connectivity to HomeKit etc. I realize Caseta might be limited for the amount of devices and sq feet (upwards of 12k) so RA select seems reasonable. I am fine with the look of caseta style or maestro switches. Question is what are my options? Am I stuck with homeworks? For the money to replace it I think it would be cheaper to re-wire some areas to get away from so many switches and dimmers. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnacook View Post
    Hi I purchased a large house from the early 200s that had a fairly elaborate homeworks system installed. There’s several graphik eyes and maybe 150 switches. I want to get rid of the whole thing and put something”modern” in but I’m getting quotes upwards of 70k+ to update to a current homeworks system. I have no use for the elaborate control system and hidden switches so I’d like to bring it to more of a “conventional” system with switches and some remote and connectivity to HomeKit etc. I realize Caseta might be limited for the amount of devices and sq feet (upwards of 12k) so RA select seems reasonable. I am fine with the look of caseta style or maestro switches. Question is what are my options? Am I stuck with homeworks? For the money to replace it I think it would be cheaper to re-wire some areas to get away from so many switches and dimmers. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
    The big question is, "Does your system have remote power panels?" Instead of pulling the lights to a local switch, they are sometimes pulled to a remote panel. It's not practical to undo this without a nearly full rewire of the house including taking most of the sheetrock off the walls.

Depending on how many remote loads you have, you may still be able to use a non-HomeWorks system like RadioRA 2. Caseta might be an option if you want to limit the control to 75 zones. It's also severely limited in 3-way/4-way circuits.

Grafik Eyes and the 150 switches will work as stand-alone controls. You don't need to replace them unless you want them on the new control system. Grafik Eyes may be an issue because they can have 6-zones in a 4-gang box.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The big question is, "Does your system have remote power panels?" Instead of pulling the lights to a local switch, they are sometimes pulled to a remote panel. It's not practical to undo this without a nearly full rewire of the house including taking most of the sheetrock off the walls.

Depending on how many remote loads you have, you may still be able to use a non-HomeWorks system like RadioRA 2. Caseta might be an option if you want to limit the control to 75 zones. It's also severely limited in 3-way/4-way circuits.

Grafik Eyes and the 150 switches will work as stand-alone controls. You don't need to replace them unless you want them on the new control system. Grafik Eyes may be an issue because they can have 6-zones in a 4-gang box.

——-
    Thanks for responding. Nearly all of the actual switches and dinners are remote, but most are very close to the lights and remote panels. In all bedrooms the dinners and switches are located in a closet in that room for example. What does the graphik eye actually do?

The Grafik Eye is a single room scene controller. It has 16 scenes that can be set to create different moods. In a home theater you could have a scene for intermission, movie, entry, etc. It is somewhat redundant in a HomeWorks system.

If you have local dimmers, even if they are hidden in a closet, you have more upgrade options. If you have remote panels (typically 15" wide and 5' tall with black covers) you are pretty much locked into HomeWorks.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I just needed it. Thanks for sharing.

I also have such a situation now and need help.

Yeah, it's a bad situation. It takes a lot of money. It's cheaper to learn how to do it yourself, honestly.

Yeah, it's a bad situation. It takes a lot of money. It's cheaper to learn how to do it yourself, honestly. I was once involved in such cases. My brother took a house on a mortgage, and at the Mortgage Advice Manchester, they gave him some recommendations on how to change the place. And so he gathered all his acquaintances and relatives, and we did everything possible with our strength there. That something on the Internet learned some of it asked the familiar craftsmen. And the conclusion is, if you want to, everything will work out. I wish you luck with your minor problems at home. I believe that you will succeed, and it will not cost you a lot of money.

This system can be changed, but it will take some time and a lot of effort. I plan to buy my own house shortly. Of course, I want to build it myself, but I understand that it is much easier to buy a ready-made house than to do the planning and intricacies myself. But purchasing a ready-made home for me is also a considerable risk because I might run into some problems like yours. So it seems that I'm more likely to build my own house, the most important thing is to choose a good project, which I like and will fit. Making a list of rooms and determining the house area for me is not such a problem. And the gum will have to bother with a comfortable arrangement of rooms and make some changes in the design of the house.

I know that updating a system can require some additional work, which will cost you more. Besides, you might need to live in another place during the construction work.