Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Lutron dimmer CTCL-153PDH 3-WAY 40 YEAR OLD INCANDESCENT 3way switch

Question New Lutron dimmer CTCL-153PDH 3-WAY 40 YEAR OLD INCANDESCENT 3way switch

I switched to LED bulbs in my can lights and had quirky results with the approximately 40 year old incandescent dimmers. Installed CTCL-153PDH dimmers on the dimmer side and they only work with one position of the old Ideal 3 way switches on the other side. --I can flip the dimmers on and off and they work in one position, but they rarely (intermittent) with the old 3 way in the other position. --With the lights on, I can flip on and off from the old 3 way, but if I leave them for a while, the lights will only work reliably if I flip the old switch down and the new dimmers one way. Does this sound like incompatible LED lights, bad wiring or do I need to buy new matching 3 way switches for them to be compatible? I am 80 miles from the store I used (or have to buy from Amazon) so I want to avoid back and forth driving.( Old regular 3-ways are Ideal 56-002A.) This is old wiring with no ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cujomatic View Post
    I switched to LED bulbs in my can lights and had quirky results with the approximately 40 year old incandescent dimmers. Installed CTCL-153PDH dimmers on the dimmer side and they only work with one position of the old Ideal 3 way switches on the other side. --I can flip the dimmers on and off and they work in one position, but they rarely (intermittent) with the old 3 way in the other position. --With the lights on, I can flip on and off from the old 3 way, but if I leave them for a while, the lights will only work reliably if I flip the old switch down and the new dimmers one way. Does this sound like incompatible LED lights, bad wiring or do I need to buy new matching 3 way switches for them to be compatible? I am 80 miles from the store I used (or have to buy from Amazon) so I want to avoid back and forth driving.( Old regular 3-ways are Ideal 56-002A.) This is old wiring with no ground.
    It does not sound like a compatibility issue. It does sound like a wiring issue. Your existing, mechanical 3-way will work fine with the CTCL-153.

Make sure the wire connected to the black lead was connected to the common screw. You should have 2 wires, typically black and red, coming from the same cable. These attach to the red and red/white leads. It doesn't matter what order. The remaining black wire should be attached to the black lead.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com