Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Geofence wont function

Geofence wont function

Any suggestions to get geofencing to work?
    Radius appears active, other functions work. App has to re-load each time used, not sure how Geo will function with App asleep.
    Lutron tech support refuses to respond.

First make sure that the Lutron app has access to your location. If you're using an iPhone go to Settings >> Lutron and make sure that the Location setting is set to "Always", Background App Refresh is enabled, and that Use Cellular Data is enabled. If that is all setup correctly try increasing the radius size. I had to do this to get reliable results.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    First make sure that the Lutron app has access to your location. If you're using an iPhone go to Settings >> Lutron and make sure that the Location setting is set to "Always", Background App Refresh is enabled, and that Use Cellular Data is enabled. If that is all setup correctly try increasing the radius size. I had to do this to get reliable results.
    Having Bluetooth on will also help geofencing work more accurately. Also, as asherrick said, having Background App Refresh enabled, and Location settings as Always for both the phone and the app are very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Having Bluetooth on will also help geofencing work more accurately.
    How does that work? I can see how WiFi might help, but how does Bluetooth help with geofencing?

Lutron Technical Support
    How does that work? I can see how WiFi might help, but how does Bluetooth help with geofencing?
    It's just an additional piece of data to help the phone more accurately determine its GPS location. The more device signals that the phone can hear will help it determine it's GPS location. This is all determined by the location software on the phone itself.

This is not something that Lutron apps themselves use. The Lutron app just asks the phone for it's location, and it's up to the phone to to determine it's proper GPS location.

My geofencing was also not working as expected today. Settings matched those mentioned by asherrick and I also had a Bluetooth turned on. At the time, my radius was set at 1000 feet. I increased the radius to 5400 feet and still had no luck... UNTIL I was closer to 5 miles outside of the radius. So, Brian W's recommendation seemed to work, but with a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiiiiz View Post
    My geofencing was also not working as expected today. Settings matched those mentioned by asherrick and I also had a Bluetooth turned on. At the time, my radius was set at 1000 feet. I increased the radius to 5400 feet and still had no luck... UNTIL I was closer to 5 miles outside of the radius. So, Brian W's recommendation seemed to work, but with a delay.
    ^ Previous post was for the notify feature upon leaving the radius. Still having trouble with scene activation upon entering/leaving the radius. Any recommendations?

Seems as though I jumped the gun on my follow up post. The scene did activate, but after a considerable amount of time within the 5400 foot radius - more than 15 minutes.

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Have you tried restarting your phone?
    asherrick, I tried this last night. Scene did not activate upon re-entering the radius.

I continue to receive notifications when I leave the radius, and they continue to be delayed.