Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Difference between PD-5WS-DV and PD-5ANS-WH-A or PD-5ANS-WH-R

Question Difference between PD-5WS-DV and PD-5ANS-WH-A or PD-5ANS-WH-R

Tech support suggested I get a PD-5WS-DV on/off wireless switch for my application but I can't find it for sale (under $100). The Lutron.com site has no practical information on this model number. Similar Lutron switches on Amazon are the Lutron PD-5ANS-WH-A and PD-5ANS-WH-R but I don't know if it either of these are the same as the recommended PD-5WS-DV. The Lutron.com site has NO information on PD-5ANS-WH-A ("Your search for PD-5ANS-WH-A did not return any results") - same for PD-5ANS-WH-R. Q: Is either of the PD-5ANS switches workable substitutes for the PD-5WS-DV?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTab View Post
    Q: Is either of the PD-5ANS switches workable substitutes for the PD-5WS-DV?
    The PD-5WS-DV (which is technically part of the pro line) does not require a netrual wire and supports dual voltages. The PD-5ANS requires a netrual.I believe the "-R" for the PD-5ANS indicates retail packaging. I have purchased some PD-5ANS-WH (no other suffix) on eBay (around $70 each) and I believe they are contractor packaging (in a box and not plastic).

PD-5ANS vs PD-5WS

Thanks for the reply. The issue we had was a dimmer switch with 5 wires. We swapped it out for one with 3 wires and the light then worked. Lutron advised us to use the PD-5WS-DV I think because it doesn't require a neutral. Matt is doing the electrical and thinks the junction box for a different light has the wires needed for a 5-wire switch to work (I am speaking in laymen's terms of course.) The cabin was built in 1956 as a weekend place and improved over the years, so the wiring is not consistent throughout. I will pass your comment onto Matt - he can decide if a PD-5ANS can be used, as they are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by kevintexas0106 View Post
    PD-5ANS-WH-R: This is also a smart light switch with dimmer feature and the ability to connect wirelessly via Wi-Fi network. The design of the PD-5ANS-WH-R is similar to the PD-5ANS-WH-A, but it has a status LED above it.
    The PD-5ANS has NO dimmer feature. It's an on/off toggle switch. I have several -R and -A versions installed in my home and the only difference was how they were packaged.

Caseta Wireless switches use Clear Connect RF technology, not WiFi.

I can tell you that the PD-5WS-DV is a wireless on/off switch that uses Lutron's Clear Connect RF technology, while the PD-5ANS-WH-A and PD-5ANS-WH-R are both wired switches that use Lutron's proprietary Maestro technology. Additionally, the PD-5ANS-WH-A and PD-5ANS-WH-R are both designed to be used with Lutron's Maestro Wireless system, which is different from the Clear Connect RF system used by the PD-5WS-DV. io games

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by ninadobrev View Post
    I can tell you that the PD-5WS-DV is a wireless on/off switch that uses Lutron's Clear Connect RF technology, while the PD-5ANS-WH-A and PD-5ANS-WH-R are both wired switches that use Lutron's proprietary Maestro technology. Additionally, the PD-5ANS-WH-A and PD-5ANS-WH-R are both designed to be used with Lutron's Maestro Wireless system, which is different from the Clear Connect RF system used by the PD-5WS-DV. io games
    This is incorrect. The PD-5WS-DV and PD-5ANS are both Caseta Wireless on/off switches. They both communicate via Clear Connect Type A RF technology and they both are hard wired devices. Neither are designed to be integrated with Maestro Wireless devices which also use Clear Connect Type A but are designed for use in the commercial Vive system. The primary differences between the PD-5WS-DV and PD-5ANS is that the PD-5WS-DV does not have a neutral connection and it support 120V or 277V applications (DV = dual voltage). The PD-5ANS requires a neutral connection (NS = neutral switch) and only supports 120V applications. Both devices will pair to Pico remotes and Caseta smart hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTab View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The issue we had was a dimmer switch with 5 wires. We swapped it out for one with 3 wires and the light then worked. Lutron advised us to use the PD-5WS-DV I think because it doesn't require a neutral. Matt is doing the electrical and thinks the junction box for a different light has the wires needed for a 5-wire switch to work (I am speaking in laymen's terms of course incredibox.) The cabin was built in 1956 as a weekend place and improved over the years, so the wiring is not consistent throughout. I will pass your comment onto Matt - he can decide if a PD-5ANS can be used, as they are readily available .
    Swapping the dimmer switch with a three-wire switch and getting the light working shows that the new switch is compatible with your wiring configuration. Regarding PD-5ANS switches, if they require a neutral wire and your junction box is unavailable, they may not be suitable for your particular setup. It is best to consult an electrician or follow the instructions provided by Lutron to ensure proper and compatible installation.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
    The PD-5WS-DV (which is technically part of the pro line) does not require a netrual wire and supports dual voltages. The PD-5ANS requires a netrual.I believe the "-R" for the PD-5ANS indicates retail packaging. I have purchased some PD-5ANS-WH (no other suffix) on eBay (around $70 each) and I believe they are contractor packaging (in a box and not plastic) .
    For $70 I'm a bit skeptical about the quality. Is it a used item?

Quote Originally Posted by paulhenge View Post
    For $70 I'm a bit skeptical about the quality. Is it a used item?
    The items were not previously used.