Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron Maestro not turning fan/light on/off

Lutron Maestro not turning fan/light on/off

I've seen a few similar post and now here's mine. I installed three of the lutron maestro fan and light switch with IR a few years ago and they've been working fine until the last few months.

They both seem to have trouble communicating to the ceiling fans/ lights. I've tried pulling the tab on the front of the switches and leaving them off for a while and even overnight and sometimes they're fine other times they get stuck on or off.

Sometimes I will get the error pattern in the LEDs where the light section of LEDs is cycling and the fan section will have the second light from the bottom on I believe. Showing there is a communication issue. I've tried cutting power to everything else in the house and have no idea if there's something actually interfering or if they're all slowly dying about at the same time.

Is it RF from the switch to the control module in the ceiling fan? It's a small house and they're very close maybe 10 ft. Every year there's more and more Wi-Fi stuff in the neighborhood but I hope it's not on a frequency that would matter.

It's too bad because they were very expensive and I really liked the way they worked with my universal remote and now you can't get them anymore.

The MIR product was pre-LED so it may be having some issues with LED bulbs. It is possible the LED issue is also affecting the fan control. The minimum load requirement for those devices was 50-60 watts. That's going to be hard to achieve with LEDs.

The fan/light control communicates via PLC (power line carrier) over the electrical lines. If something is generating noise (like microwaves, refrigerators, TVs, LEDs, etc.) it can affect the PLC signal.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Not using LED lights I was talking about the indication LEDs on the front of the switch. Not sure what changed in the last few months. They had worked fine for years. Anyway to test for the noise? I did cut power to everything but the lights but there are more breakers outside.

I turned off all the breakers outside but the one that power the upstairs lights. I also removed all but one of the fuses in the upstairs hallway. This left only some of the upstairs lights with power. Until I did this both fans had issues turning the lights and or fans on and off.With only the lights powered in the house I was able to turn on the light and fan with the level controller and then power the fan off and then lower the light one step and then turn it off. I did this on both fans until I had turned all the breakers back on and all the fuses back in. AND THEY BOTH STILL WORK!Not sure if there is something in the house that is corrupting the signals and once it started a few months back it’s been random. They would always work but then they got stuck on or off and sometimes when I’d send the IR command from the remote to turn everything off it would and then the light would come back on.So now I guess I wait for it to get bad again and try taking one barker at a time off. This is a real bummer as I really like these and reading up on the new smart home version I can’t even use it with my fans and even if I could I’d have to add new switch as they don’t make a fan/light combo switch. :(Why won’t it let me put a carriage return in my post?

I turned off all the breakers outside but the one that power the upstairs lights. I also removed all but one of the fuses in the upstairs hallway. This left only some of the upstairs lights with power. Until I did this both fans had issues turning the lights and or fans on and off. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______With only the lights powered in the house I was able to turn on the light and fan with the level controller and then power the fan off and then lower the light one step and then turn it off. I did this on both fans until I had turned all the breakers back on and all the fuses back in. AND THEY BOTH STILL WORK! __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______Not sure if there is something in the house that is corrupting the signals and once it started a few months back it’s been random. They would always work but then they got stuck on or off and sometimes when I’d send the IR command from the remote to turn everything off it would and then the light would come back on. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______So now I guess I wait for it to get bad again and try taking one barker at a time off. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______This is a real bummer as I really like these and reading up on the new smart home version I can’t even use it with my fans and even if I could I’d have to add new switch as they don’t make a fan/light combo switch. :( __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______Why won’t it let me put a carriage return in my post? So odd. ???????????