Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro dimmer switch replacement for 3x traditional switches for same set of lights

Maestro dimmer switch replacement for 3x traditional switches for same set of lights

I just bought a bulk of 12x Lutron MACL-153M-WH-3 Maestro dimmer switches. I am hoping that they will work, as some of the can overhead lights are currently controlled by up to 3 different traditional switches (though most have 2 switches).Can I just replace the existing switches with the above Lutron dimmers in each of the three/two locations and it will work or am I missing something?

The MACL-153 will work with a single, mechanical, 3-way switch. You will have on/off control from the 3-way location (no dimming).

If you want to dim from the 2nd location or you have more than 2 locations, you will need Maestro companion dimmers (MA-R) at the other locations.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

@randyc thanks for the reply. Figured I need companion dimmers so went to Home Depot and bought a handful of Maestro companions (MA-RR-WH). The problem now is a few of my lights are controlled from three different switches. Two of the switches are three-way (4 total wires) while one of the switches is 4-way (5 total wires). None of either my main Maestro controller dimmers or companion Maestro dimmers seem to support 4-way (5 total wires). What should I do? How do I make this setup where the can lights are controlled from three locations work?

@randyc thanks for the reply. Figured I need companion dimmers so went to Home Depot and bought a handful of Maestro companions (MA-RR-WH). The problem now is a few of my lights are controlled from three different switches. Two of the switches are three-way (4 total wires) while one of the switches is 4-way (5 total wires). None of either my main Maestro controller dimmers or companion Maestro dimmers seem to support 4-way (5 total wires). What should I do? How do I make this setup where the can lights are controlled from three locations work? They do support the 4-way (5-wire). Since the MACL-153 does not have a neutral connection it can go at any point in the circuit.

Starting at one of the 3-ways test for power at the common terminal (usually a black screw) with the lights OFF. If it has power this is the power-in point. If it does not have power it is the switch-leg (wire going up to the light).

Connect the power-in to the black terminal and the other black wire (to the next device) to the brass OR connect the switch-leg to the brass and the other black wire to the black terminal. Connect the red wire to the blue terminal (communication). Repeat the procedure for each device.

At the 4-way you will have 2 red wires. Connect both to the blue terminal. You can push one in the back and wrap one around the screw or make a pig-tail.

You can also send Lutron an note and tell them we are 1/5 of the way through the 21st century and it would be nice to have 2 wire clamp connectors like the other 7 billion people on the planet have.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

@randyc thanks. I went ahead and connected one of the red wires into the screw and the other red wires into the push opening in blue. Worked perfectly.