Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Changing internet service provider, have radio ra2 system, using lutron connect

Changing internet service provider, have radio ra2 system, using lutron connect

Real rookie here, what do I do to make sure Lutron Connect will connect to my home system that has been connected to the internet through a older internet provider, upgrading to fiber optic service.

If you are keeping the same router there will be no perceptible difference. If you are getting a new router it will be fine 99% of the time. The Connect app works in the cloud so your internet service provider isn't really important.

New internet service, now one light (on a four way, three swtiches) fails

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    If you are keeping the same router there will be no perceptible difference. If you are getting a new router it will be fine 99% of the time. The Connect app works in the cloud so your internet service provider isn't really important.
    Hi - I have a new internet service provider, everything transferred over fine except one light, which shows as off or on in Lutron Connect, but physically must be turned on or off at a switch. It's a four way, three switches, all of which work manually but not via the schedule, nor Lutron Connect. Ideas?

Unrelated to internet service provider. If you don't have access to the software I would call a local dealer to troubleshoot this issue. You might have a range issue, defective dimmer (unlikely) or a software issue.

If the original installer left both the Main Repeater and the Connect bridge in DHCP mode - ie. they get their network settings automatically from the router, it should all work as before. You can put them on a different router with a completely different networking setup and they SHOULD find each other and work fine unless the new router is locking down multicast or something (always multicast with Lutron).

If the original installer assigned static local IPs to the devices, as Lutron encouraged installers to do in their best practices, you might have some issues. If you get a whole new router, you would have to make sure it has the same network setup -like if the old one was 192.168.1.X, had the DHCP range of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.254 and Static IP range of 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.099 , make sure the new router is set up the same. That way if for example your main repeater is set up as a static 192.168.1.50 and your connect bridge is setup as 192.168.1.51, they'll still stay the same and won't conflict with the new router's setup. If you get a new router and it's set up in a completely different way, it probably won't work and you'd have to call a Lutron dealer to come and put the new settings in.

That is true, but a network misconfiguration would not cause a single zone to stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    If the original installer left both the Main Repeater and the Connect bridge in DHCP mode - ie. they get their network settings automatically from the router, it should all work as before. You can put them on a different router with a completely different networking setup and they SHOULD find each other and work fine unless the new router is locking down multicast or something (always multicast with Lutron). If the original installer assigned static local IPs to the devices, as Lutron encouraged installers to do in their best practices, you might have some issues. If you get a whole new router, you would have to make sure it has the same network setup -like if the old one was 192.168.1.X, had the DHCP range of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.254 and Static IP range of 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.099 , make sure the new router is set up the same. That way if for example your main repeater is set up as a static 192.168.1.50 and your connect bridge is setup as 192.168.1.51, they'll still stay the same and won't conflict with the new router's setup. If you get a new router and it's set up in a completely different way, it probably won't work and you'd have to call a Lutron dealer to come and put the new settings in.
    Hi-- I am in similar situation, new AT&T fiber drop but when using my own WiFi router the DHCP remains on AT&T router, so now all my local devices are on a 192.168.2.* subnet instead of a 192.168.1.* ... I think my RA2 install bridge and home connect may be on static IP since my App can no longer connect.My question is, is there any downside to using DHCP with RA2 bridge and home connect? If I pay for a lutron tech to come change my RA2 gear to DHCP will I be screwing anything else up?REALLY appreciate your advice here. I'd prefer my RA2 gear to work on any router setup I may/may not setup in the future...

If you are integrating with third-party systems then a static IP would be pretty much necessary. It isn't a bad idea to always use it. DHCP should be fine. If you want to avoid a Lutron person coming out, you can change your router back to 192.168.1.x and everything should be fine