Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta remote access (to someone else)

Caseta remote access (to someone else)

The other day while troubleshooting the Connect App (for HWQS), I used the customer's phone to grant myself a 24 hour access on the app. It was amazingly simple and straight forward. I quickly troubleshot the stuff and asked them they could remove my access to which they responded "Oh I don't care, if you have access".

The last time I set up a new Caseta system was about a year ago however and as far as I know, there was no such tool around - just either use the "pro install" and send them the email later or just get their phone/tablet and set everything up on it. Not a fan of either to be honest.

So after my experience with the Connect App, I looked to see whether Caseta had this and it seems like they do but you have to have a myLutron account...which I do. Can I ask the customer to set up the Lutron account on their phone, and then get the code to grant myself access and then set everything else up in the house on my phone and then without doing anything else, their phone is updated with the changes as well?

I would much prefer to set up a customer's account this way - Have them set up their account so I know for sure it's set up right, then use my phone to set things up so I don't bother them again by borrowing their phone or sending them an email and wondering if they were able to set things up. If yes, is that access temporary? Can I have access to multiple houses? For instance if I have 3 customers with Caseta, can I be granted access to all those houses so if something is not working I can just jump into the house with the app and see?

Also, is the myLutron account required or can a homeowner temporarily grant temporary access to a housekeeper the way they can with the Connect app?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. I believe you are able to do this with a myLutron account and would have access to the customers home for 24 hours once granted the access code as it will then expire.