Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: QS to QSX Update yet?

QS to QSX Update yet?

Anyone converted a QS system to the new QSX processor yet?I have mine sitting here, probably going to do it this weekend. Just wanted to see if there were any hitches to be aware of.Thanks,Andy
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Besides the list of features not available at launch, two things that I’ve found is no pico control or editing from Lutron app and no log available from the terminal. Not having a log makes troubleshooting conditionals etc a bit of a pain.....

Also on the Lutron App I’m not seeing keypad LED status (iPhone). Anyone else seeing this? I’ve sent in a support file but I was curious if it was isolated to my setup.

Not yet. I gave the pricing to a customer who has a one link QS system that's already used on wired devices so I'm short one port (the original installer kind of cheaped out) so rather than getting a 2nd QS processor that costs as much as a QSX processor I told them it's better to just bite the bullet now and future proof with QSX. My concern there is that they have Savant as well which will break once I go to QSX. Hopefully by then the new API thingie works so their Savant guy can link things back up.

rather than getting a 2nd QS processor that costs as much as a QSX processor I told them it's better to just bite the bullet now and future proof with QSX.

I'm just waiting for the Control4 driver to get released. The missing things aren't a concern. If you were around for the initial QS release, it wasn't any more powerful than Ra2 (maybe less so), but it caught back up and was solid pretty quickly.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

The difference when QS was announced was that there was never any doubt that it would be backwards compatible with Illuminations components like RPMs. I think it took them a while to make the older keypads compatible and they implemented a license fee which I thought was not right, but at least they made sure that if you had a working illuminations system, for the most part you could do everything you could already do with it, with QS. It might have been expensive, especially if you had a lot of wireless devices, but they weren't just taking away features the way they are with QSX.

For instance so far now, we've had two virtual "road shows" where they start off by singing the praises of the DIN rail panels which I admit are superior to the current RPM panels, and then there is no mention of RPM support. None. When asked, they pretty much say "well, DIN is superior, why would you want to use RPMS?!? I guess if you really want to do that, then you still have QSX so why would you need it on QSX?" I take that back, they did say that they were raising the price for RPMS.

Again, I'm not doubting that RPMs are old technology - hell they were old even when they were new because they were still using dip switches while their competitor had plug and play modules, but the point is that they have customers who have spent 10's sometimes 100's of thousands of dollars on these systems already with the belief that Lutron will always have an upgrade path for them and so far, there is just silence. I wish the engineers would just come out and say one way or another whether they'll add RPM support. Keypad support would be nice too but with the license fee and them wearing out by now, it's not my biggest priority.

With them taking Telnet away however, they are really pushing the envelope. Of course, the Crestrons of the world will have support for whatever this new replacement is, though even after a few months they still don't have support of all the big names (No C4, no Savant) but what about all the custom devices that use Telnet? Maybe someone has a 3rd party shade that works with serial commands. Those things not being supported makes selling QSX harder.It just seems weird that with them leaving features out intentionally QS and QSX are in a competition but it's not much of a competition because they can pull the plug on QS anytime the way they did with illuminations. It didn't take more than a year before that was obsolete.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your post SparkyCoog

Lutron’s legacy of innovation means always pushing forward with newer and better solutions. But given our long history in the industry, we understand the number of legacy systems deployed into homes around the world. We value our existing customers and make every effort to support those customers to ensure they remain Lutron customers for life. In that respect, we understand the importance of the RPM link for legacy installations. As you have pointed out, the QSX processor does not currently support the RPM link, or other legacy links. For now, we are recommending keeping RPM based systems on QS until we can provide a solution for upgrading them to QSX. While there will be limited new development for QS processors, Lutron does not have any plans at this point to obsolete QS, as it remains the best option for many of our existing customers.

As for Homeworks Illumination, we are still supporting installs that are deployed and still have replacement parts for these systems. Illumination systems were not officially obsoleted until 2015, 5 years after the launch of QS. We do have the discontinuation notice downloadable here at https://lutrono365.sharepoint.com/:f...ZIJsA?e=gjcpXP . This link is good for 1 week.

As for The new LEAP protocol used for integration is a modern API that offers many benefits over Telnet including faster setup for integrators, richer data, the ability to scale larger, the option for cloud-based or local integrations, enhanced security and uniformity with other Lutron systems. We are working with our major partners first to develop drivers and Control4’s driver is now available in beta. We are open to working with partners across the industry and expand the availability of drivers for other equipment.

Josh - Let’s get this LEAP protocol published for everyone here to look at. The select partners, secretive, thing is so 90’s. If you don’t, someone will reverse engineer it and publish it. It’s so much better to lead this stuff and be proactive than resist, stir bad blood with the community for being secretive, and still have it reverse engineered and published.