Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: "Update of Device Failed" followed by "hearing" the wrong device during activation

"Update of Device Failed" followed by "hearing" the wrong device during activation

I had added some new wireless devices to an existing system after extracting the programming and the new devices were all fine, but some (6 total) existing devices, all shades were giving a "update of device failed" error, but were still working. I called tech support at that time and was told to not really worry about it. I don't remember their exact explanation but from I understood, the programming in the devices didn't need changing so it wasn't updated but was giving the error. It was working so I let it go. I had to make a few more changes and transferred and didn't get any other errors so I thought that was that.

I was notified however that one shade in particular was not responding. It was one of the 6 devices mentioned above with the error. My theory was that during the upload, I had moved the repeater closest to it a little further away so maybe something went wrong during the upload and all it would take to fix it would be to just re-transfer. That did not work and the repeater is only about 20 feet away. My next attempt was to perform a factory reset of the shade (tap tap tap hold tap tap tap), deactivate the device in the software, add it, and then do a transfer. Then things got REALLY weird.

When you try to activate shades, you have two options: press and hold the button on the shade, or do it from the PC where any non-activated shades in the area shiver. Being lazy, I tried the shiver method but it said it couldn't find any non-activated devices. Little weird but no problem, I press and held the shade button, heard the pleasant beep, but on the software it had highlighted another already activated shade in a completely different area red telling me that it heard a devices that was already activated. I believe it was also one of the ones that had gotten the "update of device failed" errors. but was working.

This wasn't a project I had started so I thought the previous installer had made a mistake or someone had taken the shade out and put it back in the wrong place so I factory defaulted that one and deactivated it and was going to activate both of them in the correct spot. Easy, right? This time, when I tried to activate the 2nd shade, it AGAIN gave me a notice that it was hearing a 3RD shade! I was playing whack-a-mole. I also believe that was one of the ones that had gotten the "update of device failed" errors. So I took a deep breath, deactivated and factory reset that one, and was going to activate the 3 shades and then transfer. To my relief, this time, all 3 were activated correctly in the right spot and all it would take to fix it was to do a transfer. But no, it wouldn't be that easy.

During the transfer the 2nd shade in the story, and ironically the one that was only 6 feet away from the repeater was now giving a "cannot communicate with device" error. I tried transferring failed devices, doing complete transfers and nothing. It just would not "stick" to that shade. Oddly enough, the "Update of Device Failed" errors were down to 2 from 6 even though I had only messed with 3 devices. I tried calling tech support but gave up after 15 minutes on hold (wait times have been really long lately) so I tried replacing the batteries in the shade even though it was working just fine before, factory reset again, and transferred again and still got the error. I attempted to do a diagnostics, but the software crashed in the middle so I restarted my laptop and when I attempted to transfer the database, IT WORKED!

I charge by the hour so now that it was working and everything else was working, I was satisfied to leave it alone for now, but I will be doing more things in this house later so I want to get rid of the other two "harmless" Update of Device Failed errors and am curious what happened with the whack-a-mole of trying to activate one shade when the system hears another shade. This particular system has version 12.4 on it. Would updating it to 15.x fix the issue? I spoke with tech support later when I got through and they said it very well might and recommended I update. I would have updated it but this was kind of a sensitive situation and I wasn't familiar with other things that may be integrated so I didn't want to break anything but now I'm confident there is no issues with doing an update. Was this a known bug?

FWIW, Lutron and every other manufacturer will ALWAYS say, "update the firmware."

I can't site specifics but I have seen this issue. Like you, I wound up setting them back to factory default and reactivating.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

lol per our other discussions, I USED to routinely update the firmware as soon as they'd come out and I'd be at a home but version 13 and the change to telnet logins that broke some stuff kind of worries me and I'm afraid they sneaked in something that might break other things... Thankfully in this case it won't be the same issue...I think the worst thing is I'd have to re-activate the connect bridge. It was just the strangest thing to know I'm trying to activate something in one room and it's hearing something else with a completely different serial #...and then it does it again.

Yes I never update firmware unless it has a fix or feature I absolutely need. If it aint broke dont fix it. I have had devices that report back "update of device failed" when I transfer, and I have been told before also to ignore it. I think to myself "Well I haven't changed any programming for this device so why would this be a problem?". But it always bites me in the *** as it seems when QS transfers it seems to wipe devices for no reason and when a device fails to update it is basically useless. And then I get a phone call from angry homeowner asking why this keypad/shade/whatever no longer works and it did before. Quite frustrating. Lutron support could also not tell me what the difference between a normal transfer and a full transfer. Unbelievable.

To update this thread, I did have a chance to update the firmware in this house to the very latest at the moment, 15.5 from 12.4 and the process was pretty smooth but the "Update of Device Failed" error is still there for those two shades. I'm pretty sure if I factory defaulted them and reactivated them, they would probably function but as they were working and this was on the house, I left them alone for now. I should also mention that these were installed by someone else originally and all the ones *I* programmed haven't had that error yet so it may be left over from an old version of the software.