Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL-WH just stopped working (no indicator lights)

Question PD-6WCL-WH just stopped working (no indicator lights)

We bought 5 PD-6WCL-WH dimmer switches just over two years ago. They have all been working perfectly, until last night when one of them just stopped working. The switch is in a bedroom and it lights two small candelabra light bulbs, which two of the other rooms also use and have no problem with. I checked both bulbs and they did not burn out. I checked to ensure there is power to the room and there is (outlets work, and the overhead fan works, no blown breakers). The indicator lights on the switch are no longer lit up like they are on all of the other switches. Did the switch just randomly go bad? Or could there be something else going on? This is in a new-build house built in 2018, so it has a neutral wire.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyhome View Post
    We bought 5 PD-6WCL-WH dimmer switches just over two years ago. They have all been working perfectly, until last night when one of them just stopped working. The switch is in a bedroom and it lights two small candelabra light bulbs, which two of the other rooms also use and have no problem with. I checked both bulbs and they did not burn out. I checked to ensure there is power to the room and there is (outlets work, and the overhead fan works, no blown breakers). The indicator lights on the switch are no longer lit up like they are on all of the other switches. Did the switch just randomly go bad? Or could there be something else going on? This is in a new-build house built in 2018, so it has a neutral wire.
    There are 2 reasons the LEDs wont light up. First is no power. You said you checked that and I'm sure you would notice if the FASS was pulled out. In some cases, if the wires are not twisted firmly they will vibrate and create an open. It doesn't seem likely in this case.

The 2nd is a minimum load or compatibility issue. This doesn't seem likely either but you could try a different/larger bulb.

It's possible you had some surge damage. Sometimes it takes weeks or even months for the damage to reach the breaking point. There could have been a storm 6 months ago that weekend the dimmer and it is just now failing.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you so much for your help. We have had a few bad storms, but those were months ago and we didn't notice anything. But as you said, if it can take weeks/months for any issues to arise, I guess that could be the case here. Just strange that we have 5 switches and this is the only one that had an issue (and is actually the furthest from the electrical panel, if that means anything if there was a surge)