Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Routers that work with Caseta

Angry Routers that work with Caseta

I am trying to set up the smart bridge pro with the Iphone app. Unfortunately my Linksys by Cisco router needs ports to be opened. Since Linksys customer support is awful and by playing around with the ports by myself, I no longer have wireless internet. Instead of fooling around with it again, I wanted to purchase a wireless router that works with Caseta without having to open ports. Any suggestions???

I am an electrical contractor and was just sold this system at the Mohegan Sun seminar. I decided to install this in my house before venturing off into clients. Already have multiple clients asking me how I feel about the system. Unless Lutron can come up with a solution, they definitely will lose my business and may venture down the road to good ole leviton.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've used NetGear, AirPorts with no problems. The Caseta SmartBridge was designed as a pretty straight-forward plug and (almost) play product. Have you tried calling tech support?

The SMB does need to connect to a live internet connection first time out of the box to download it's updates. Are you trying to log in to the SMB directly without an internet connection, only over the wifi?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Caseta does not use any inbound connections, so usually it does not require any special configuration or any ports open. However, if your firewall prohibits outbound connections, then you need to make sure Caseta bridge can talk to outside world on ports 443 (HTTPS) and 8883 (MQTT).

Quote Originally Posted by salsabia View Post
    I am trying to set up the smart bridge pro with the Iphone app. Unfortunately my Linksys by Cisco router needs ports to be opened. Since Linksys customer support is awful and by playing around with the ports by myself, I no longer have wireless internet. Instead of fooling around with it again, I wanted to purchase a wireless router that works with Caseta without having to open ports. Any suggestions???

I am an electrical contractor and was just sold this system at the Mohegan Sun seminar. I decided to install this in my house before venturing off into clients. Already have multiple clients asking me how I feel about the system. Unless Lutron can come up with a solution, they definitely will lose my business and may venture down the road to good ole leviton.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't understand anything about ports. I have an Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen. I have an entirely all Apple environment - 3 Macs, 2 iPads, and iPhones. In fact I have two AE's (2nd is Ethernet extended) because one alone couldn't strong signal to upstairs. It only has 3 output ethernet positions, so I added a Netgear gigabit switch ($40) and the Smart Bridge is attach to that. According to Lutron, they wanted it connected to the router, but this works just fine.
    I cannot still get it to work with HomeKit (which is for Siri to recognize it). But the App works just fine. I have 4 switches and dimmers. And 3 Pico remotes connected to them too. I used the smart bridge to schedule my outdoor lights which are on one of the switches.

Switch is fine. Since you are able to connect to it just fine using the app, I would say your network configuration is fine. HomeKit is a separate issue - it is being discussed in another topic on this forum.