Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using Ethernet Device module

Using Ethernet Device module

Anyone used ethernet module in homework QS for Intersystem communication? I have two programs. I want to use a keypad in program1 to control few channels in the program2.Initial requirement was independent system. Now got a task to control few lights that are in building 1 from building 2. Both are in same network.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your post Kannan@pv.ae.

We would recommend following this app note https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ntegration.pdf. Specifically scenario 1 would be needed. With that in mind we would need to program both directions for the commands and feedback if needed. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the suggestions and the app note.

Need help integrating with a 3rd party Ethernet device - any way to debug ?

I have a gate controlled by a Global Cache TVP/IP Ethernet to contact closure switch. I can telnet to the Global Cache device and issue a command to open or close the contact closure switch (e.g. "setstate,1:1,1"). I have not been able to successfully trigger the command from HomeWorks QS. I have configured an Ethernet device with the IP address, and telnet port number. I have a command set with the appropriate command configured. But it's not working somewhere. Is there any way to debug the integration? Can I see if the Global Cache device is returning an error message?Is there any way to tell how this might be failing?When I issue the command using telnet, the Global Cache device returns an acknowledgment message. How do I see that return message from the HomeWorks QS system?Thanks in advance for your help.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    I believe you should be able to telnet into the processor using a command prompt and see if the 3rd party system is sending responses back. Go to start> type CMD, which will open up a command prompt (make sure telnet is enabled on your machine). Next type telnet 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or whatever the IP address is of your processor, it will ask you for a UN and PW which is configured in the integration tab in the software. I hope this helps.

Thanks, but what do I look for to see if the third party system is sending back a response code? I know how to telnet in and use the command line. I've built integrations that use the telnet interface to control the Homeworks QS system. But what do I look for that tells me the return value from a third party integration?

I think I found what I need. This post:https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-HWQSdescribes how to troubleshoot third party integrations. There's a HWQS command "outboundconnections" that displays the state of third party Ethernet connections as well as the transmitted and received data. I'm now using that to debug the integration.