Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1993 GE low voltage upgrade to homeworks?

1993 GE low voltage upgrade to homeworks?

I am purchasing a home built in 1993. Has a GE low voltage automation lighting system with dozens of toggle switches to control multiple lights from different areas. I’m interested in converting to lutron for modernizing the home. Around 6000 sq feet. Any idea how to proceed? Cost ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhurst View Post
    I am purchasing a home built in 1993. Has a GE low voltage automation lighting system with dozens of toggle switches to control multiple lights from different areas. I’m interested in converting to lutron for modernizing the home. Around 6000 sq feet. Any idea how to proceed? Cost ballpark?
    That's not enough info for even a ballpark number. Generally speaking, RadioRA 2 is $300/zone and HomeWorks is $400/zone. A lot of things can affect those prices so use them cautiously. You may also have costs to remove the old system.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Your best bet is to get a couple of estimates from your local Lutron dealers because there are a lot of variables here that we don't know. I'm biased towards electrical contractors who are Lutron dealers since there will likely be some modifications that have to be made but call whoever is recommended to you locally.

In general, the things that determines the price are the number of loads, the types and sizes of loads, number of keypads, what styles you want to choose for the new system, etc. That's just for the parts. A lot of the labor is going to depend on what's involved in removing the old system, making notes on what they control, designing the system, what modifications to wiring may be needed, etc.

Also keep in mind that Homeworks is the highest end system Lutron has so it will be expensive.