Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeworks Interactive System

Homeworks Interactive System

I have a homeworks interactive system in my home. Yesterday, the system all the sudden would not turn off the lights that are on, and for the lights that are off it will not turn them on. This happened out of the blue. I have a few questions:

1) The processer seems to be working find. I reset the processor in boot mode but that did not fix the problem. I see the green lights on many of the remote power modules and on the processor LCD panel it is two green lines moving in a circle. However, on my light switches there is normally a green light showing power to the switch. There is currently no green light at the switch and power does not appear to be getting to the switches. I had this same issue many years ago, but a reboot of the system fixed it. This time a reboot does not fix it.

a. What could be the possible causes of this issue?

2) Is there a way for me to download the software and run a diagnostics on the system without calling a dealer?

3) The dealers in my area say they handle Homeworks QS, but my system is a Homeworks Interactive. Will the dealer be able to work with my system?

a. What should I ask the dealer to do?

b. How can I tell if the dealer is telling me the correct diagnosis?

c. What is a fair cost for a dealer to troubleshoot the issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power supply.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	391

Quote Originally Posted by degmsb01 View Post
    I see the green lights on many of the remote power modules and on the processor LCD panel it is two green lines moving in a circle. However, on my light switches there is normally a green light showing power to the switch. There is currently no green light at the switch and power does not appear to be getting to the switches.
    a. What could be the possible causes of this issue?
    When you talk about the switches do you mean the keypads ? There are 2 ways the keypad gets power. Either directly from the processor or a Keypad power supply. Do you have a box similiar to this image. If so check to make sure that box has power and is sending power out to the keypads

Yes, I mean keypads. And I have 3 boxes exactly like the image. One has the processor. The processor appears to be working, the LCD panel show two green lines moving in a circle. So do you think the issue might be Keypad power supply? What does this look like?

keypad image.pdf See Attached

Thank you, but I don't just have one keypad down. My whole house is down, none of the keypads work. The processor seems to be working with a green dashed line on them and I can see green lights on many of the remote power modules. Both dealers I called are trying to sell me a whole new processor saying my processor is old (homeworks interactive) and they don't know how to work on it. They want me to buy a Homework QS which is convient for them since it costs $1,000 of dollars.

How do I find a dealer that can work with the Homeworks Interactive. Also one dealer said my system was from the 1980s but my house was built in 2001. Is it true the Homeworks interactive is that old?

How Many Keypads do you have The processor can only power up so may led's on the keypads So in a lot of cases the the keypad links are powered from the remote power supply. You need to check and see if your keypads are powered from either the processor or the remote power supply, If they are powered from the remote power supply and that goes bad you would have no led's lit on the keypads. The processor could be just fine but the buttons will not work without power to the keypad. If your processor is powering the keypads from its internal power supply that might have gone bad.

The Homework's Illumination processors have a Black front and the Homework's Interactive processors have a silver front. In either case there both old and if you do have a Illumination processor black front they just recently stopped production of them. However they are still around on Ebay and possibly at a very high cost from Lutron since there discontinued.

As for the upgrade to Lutron QS will be a lot more then 1000.00 You will not likely need new MI interfaces and licenses to use all your old keypads and a complete rewrite of the system. It will be a lot more then 1000.00

Im not convinced your processor is bad just yet If we get power back to the keypads you may come back on line. Where are you located

I am located near mission viejo, CA. I have a pretty comprehensive system with 11 keypads. I believe the system would run on a remote power supply, because the guy I bought the house from was a lurtron dealer and he had the everything on this system from shades, lights, music, etc.. I currently only have lights on the system.

How do I identify the
    remote power supply? Where do I look? I have three long black panels in my garage.

Name:	interactive .jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keypad power supply.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illumination1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	396

Silver Right Is interactive Center Is keypad power supply right is illumination

11 keypads is not many the processor could handle that many Do you have a copy of your file ?

you can email me at mcignarella@optonline.net for better communication

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	400

Thank you for all your help. Here are are some photos of the system. Any suggestion on where I should look is much appreciated.

Lets assume I don't have a remote power supply, and the keypads are run from the processor. Looking at my issues of no power to the keypads, does that mean I need a whole new processor?

I have the program in a .mdb file. Is there somewhere I can get the Lutron Software for this system and then run my own diagnostics?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (1).JPG   photo.JPG  

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by degmsb01 View Post

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	400

Thank you for all your help. Here are are some photos of the system. Any suggestion on where I should look is much appreciated.

Lets assume I don't have a remote power supply, and the keypads are run from the processor. Looking at my issues of no power to the keypads, does that mean I need a whole new processor?

I have the program in a .mdb file. Is there somewhere I can get the Lutron Software for this system and then run my own diagnostics?
    degmsb01,

Please check the voltages between pins 1 and 2 at the keypads and at the link on the processor. Do you get any voltage? The HWI/ST keypads are 15VDC keypads.

If you do not get any voltage, disconnect the keypad link at take another reading at the processor between pins 1 and 2. Do you get the proper voltage now? If so then please take one keypad directly to the processor and see if it powered up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast