Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeworks Interactive System

degmsb01,

Any Updates ?

spare processor available

Just seen your posts and if it helps I have a working interactive processor lying around, only issue is its a uk one?? Not sure of the voltage it will accept?

let me know if you need it?

Hi,
    New to the forum.

I have the same problem.

No keypads work.
    All keypads have the led's flashing in a waterfall pattern.

All switches all work.

Any ideas?

Hello buzz254,
    Thank you for your post.
    This usually means 1 of 2 things. Either the processor is in an incorrect state or there is a communication issues on the keypad link. Such as a bad device or a wiring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz254 View Post
    Hi,
    New to the forum.

I have the same problem.

No keypads work.
    All keypads have the led's flashing in a waterfall pattern.

All switches all work.

Any ideas?
    Buzz, your problem sounds different than the original poster's problem. The waterfall pattern means that there is no communication with the processor but you do have power going to the keypads. The best case scenario is that your processor is stuck and with some dip switch and power cycle combos, you could get it unstuck.

If however the processor is dead then I'm afraid you have an expensive problem and if you don't have the original database, you have an even more expensive problem because Lutron doesn't repair processors. In the last case of a dead processor I worked, Lutron flat out said that they no longer sold the product and the only option was to upgrade to QS.

I have a strong personal view that it's wrong not to repair processors since it preserves the original programming and could make you be on your way for $400 without changing a single other thing in the house, but the burdon of concience is on Lutron for doing this to their customers and I'm just a guy who has to work around that. Even if the processor is available, with the amount of time and cost it will take to reprogram it from scratch, you might as well upgrade to QS. If it's a wired system, you can likely use some of the components like the keypads (for a license fee which again I think is very wrong) but it's better than nothing.

If you can't reuse any of the components (ie, you had a wireless system), you can also consider jumping ship from Homeworks to maybe a Radio ra2 system to save money or just leave Lutron all together.

There is also an obsolete products email area to Lutron but frankly, they were ZERO help. They say they can possibly remake an obsolete product on a "case by case basis" without giving any definitive information about cost or availability. From the point of view of an installer, when we call tech support and tech support says "the only think to do is upgrade to QS", that should be the final answer and not keep the customer in suspense for weeks of going back and fourth with the obsolete products division of Lutron. When lights don't work, we need to act fast.

I have a Homeworks Interactive system that was installed in my house in 2000. It seems that the processor crashed and I do not have a copy of the software to fix. It may not be fixable anyhow because the processor may be dead. In any event we are upgrading to QS. Do the keypads (low voltage) have to be replaced? I have heard two different answers. I know the dimmers and switches (high voltage) have to be replaced.

Also is there anyway I can get a copy of the Interactive software to see if it can be brought back to life. Any help would be appreciated. We live in South Florida, Palm Beach County.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I have a Homeworks Interactive system that was installed in my house in 2000. It seems that the processor crashed and I do not have a copy of the software to fix. It may not be fixable anyhow because the processor may be dead. In any event we are upgrading to QS. Do the keypads (low voltage) have to be replaced? I have heard two different answers. I know the dimmers and switches (high voltage) have to be replaced.

Also is there anyway I can get a copy of the Interactive software to see if it can be brought back to life. Any help would be appreciated. We live in South Florida, Palm Beach County.
    Keypads-
    If they are wired, you can reuse them with a link translator (HWI to QS) which is a cheap part but you have to also purchase a very expensive (around $1500) license to unlock the feature in QS. I know, I think it's BS that you'd pay twice for the same keypads when there is absolutely no technical reason not to just let you reuse them. The link translator itself is a $50 little part, but I digress.

So you'd need to do some math to see whether it's worth it. If you have 5 or less keypads or your keypads are worn out, I'd just go with QS and get new ones which are a little different style. If you do reuse them, you have to be VERY careful to make sure they're 15 volts DC and not the QS 24 volt or you'd blow them out. If your keypads had their own transformer, just reuse that. If not, you'd have to go to a electronics parts outlet or spend $500 with Lutron. Wireless keypads do not get used on the new one.

As far as the software goes, if the processor is dead, you can't get to it anyway so it's a moot point- and you wouldn't get access to the software anyway. Things that you can check however is to see whether you're getting power. The power supplies do go out on the 4 series. On the 4 series it should be 12 volt AC coming out. The 8 series may take full 120 power, i haven't seen them go out.

Not Finished

Did you have an authorized Homeworks dealer look at the system to see if the processor is dead ? As Sparky said you need a license to reuse but it depends on a few other factors. If the keypads are currently fed with power from the Interactive processor then in addition to the license you will need power supply to feed them also. If these are architectural style Keypads then swapping to designer can also get messy with openings and amount of keypads needed to make up number of buttons IE... 10 button KP replacement to QS Depending on what model dimmers and switches (Maestro) they may be able to be reused also. The numbers can be worked a few different ways. I suggest you are comfortable with the knowledge of the Homeworks dealer before making a decision. Since they see what parts your system is comprised of they should be able to give you a few options.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Not Finished
    Sorry that was not supposed to go here

How can I tell if my processor is stuck? I have the waterfall flashing lights on each panel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast