Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can one Pico control two dimmers separately?

Quote Originally Posted by RK1111 View Post
    I have not seen an answer to the initial question --- Can one (3 or 4 button) Pico remote control more than one switch?
    Sorry. Left off the word -- independently.
    I don't want to use one remote to control multiple switches simultaneously.

Lutron Technical Support
    Yes, one PJ2-4B-GWH-L21 Pico remote can control 2 different dimmers/switches separately, but you will ONLY get on/off functionality from the remote. You won't be able to dim from the remote.

Use of Lutron bridge to control 2 dimmers with one Pico

asherrick's post implies that one Pico can control two dimmers with the use of a bridge. I have a Lutron Bridge Pro that I use with my Hubitat home automation hub. How can I use the bridge to control two dimmers with one Pico? Like this? (Pico ---> bridge ---> home automation hub ---> bridge ---> dimmer1 and dimmer 2)

skybluecat Navigate to the Pico in the Lutron app. Click on "edit device." You can add any number of devices to the Pico. The Pico is a fairly dumb device. It sends on/off/raise/lower commands to the bridge. The information on what to do is stored in the bridge.

If you press a button on the Pico, it will go Pico --> bridge --> dimmer1, dimmer 2. It will not go through the Hubitat.

If you initiate the command from Hubitat it would go hub --> bridge --> dimmer1, dimmer2. Although Hubitat be sending the command to press the Pico button, the bridge will actually forward the command to the dimmers.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

How would I control 2 Caseta dimmers with one Pico on a bridged system? Do I need a separate home automation controller, or can I do it with just the Lutron Caseta components (Dimmer, Pico, Bridge)?

All Caséta dimmers and Picos need a bridge except for Wink HA systems. All other HA systems other than SmartThings require the Smart Bridge Pro that has Telnet integration. In Hubitat the Smart Bridge Pro, the dimmers, and Picos are all added as devices. Hubitat reads and sends Telnet commands from/to the Smart Bridge Pro.

You have 2 choices for control of the Caséta dimmers:
    1) Directly via Lutron, no HA hub involved. Both dimmers can be added to a single Pico in the Lutron phone app, or
    2) via HA hub. Via Telnet the Hubitat will hear the Pico and send lighting state and level commands to the Smart Bridge Pro. The SBP will tell the dimmers what to do.

Both methods work and there are use cases for both.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    On a non-bridge system, you can have up to 10 Pico remotes control 1 dimmer. The only way to control 2 different dimmers independently from one Pico would be to use the 2-group 4-button Pico. Specifically, the PJ2-4B-GWH-L21. See page 6 of: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum.../369847.pdf.If you are using the Lutron Caseta system then you can program the pico to control any number of dimmers that are also on the Lutron Caseta system.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    All Caséta dimmers and Picos need a bridge except for Wink HA systems.
    This is obviously wrong. Caseta dimmers and switches work with pico just fine without a bridge. The bridge is only necessary to extend the range, or to add automated schedules, and remote app functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    The only way to control 2 different dimmers independently from one Pico would be to use the 2-group 4-button Pico.
    No, any pico wireless control can control more than 1 caseta dimmer. The documentation doesn't say how many. I just now, as I'm writing, tested it with 2 dimmers and it works. (no bridge)
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/040429.pdf
    Set-Up
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 to pair a single Pico wireless control with multiple dimmers / switches.

For the 2nd option, he wanted to control dimmer A without affecting dimmer B and vice-versa, all from a single Pico. The only Pico that will do that is the 2 group/4 button. I don't believe Caseta has the ability to turn off group programming like RA2 and HQS. At that point you are manually recreating the 2 group/4 button programming.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

OK ancient history - But yes - 4 button Pico's can be set to control 2 separate dimmers or switches, but since you only have 4 buttons you are very limited in what you can do and it only works fully flexibly with some 4 button picos. Most 4 button picos will let you set scenes that can include both but must set the state of both for every button clicked and the bottom button is always 'room all off'However if you use the PJ2-4B-TSW-P01, PJ2-4B-TSW-P02, PJ2-4B-TSW-P03 4 button engraved picos you can program which lights are controlled by every button as well as the levels for each light and all 4 buttons operate the same - no dedicated off.So you could have the top 2 buttons control dimmer A with 2 scenes and the bottom 2 button control dimmer B with 2 scenes. When you use the Pico buttons to change dimmer A, dimmer B is unaffected and vice versa. I think this is the behavior that was requested. The toggling 4 button 2 group pico is not really as useful.Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12