Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RadioRA2 and HomeWorks in the same house?

RadioRA2 and HomeWorks in the same house?

Hello, I have a potential customer who has an existing HomeWorks processor and a few shades that it controls already installed and working, the original installer no longer works with him. He asked me to install new Lutron light switches for him, but I'm only certified to work with RadioRA2. Would there be any issues adding a RadioRA2 main repeater to his network and home with RadioRA2 compatible light switches? Could RadioRA2 and HomeWorks co-exist without interfering with each other? Thanks for your help, David

Is the HomeWorks wired or also using wireless?My understanding is there is no conflict at the physical level, even with multiple independent wireless systems. If he is using any software apps, then he might need to login/logout and use different accounts if, for example, there already is a Connect bridge installed. Also, Amazon Alexa only allows one Lutron bridge/gateway per account.Most important is that client understands the two systems would be totally isolated from each other.

You can have 2 systems in the same house. As part of the initial setup the system looks for nearby systems and chooses a frequency to avoid conflicts. The only issue I see is the app. If you want to control the HQS system you will need to login to house A. If you want to control RA2 you will need to switch to house B.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpivR View Post
    Is the HomeWorks wired or also using wireless?My understanding is there is no conflict at the physical level, even with multiple independent wireless systems. If he is using any software apps, then he might need to login/logout and use different accounts if, for example, there already is a Connect bridge installed. Also, Amazon Alexa only allows one Lutron bridge/gateway per account.Most important is that client understands the two systems would be totally isolated from each other.
    Correct. You will not be able to use scenes such as Goodbye, Goodnight, Welcome home, etc.

If it's an older version of Homeworks that's already obsolete and this is a way to bridge the gap until they're ready to move the whole system to Ra2 (assuming there are no limitations in device counts), it's one thing, but if they have Homeworks QS in their house, you're doing them a disservice by not adding to the existing system because HWQS is designed to be expanded and the initial cost of having the processor has been paid for by them already. This will just add another layer of complexity with no apparent gain to them. I would really try to contact your local Lutron rep and see if you can become a QS dealer or at the very least work together with or refer them to a QS dealer.

I know it's your sale and the way Lutron is set up, it kind of encourages lower level dealers to resort to this but it sucks that the customer will lose out in the end. Lutron is not completely innocent in this either. When we started with Lutron, you didn't need any kind of certification for Radio Ra Classic as it was a DIY programmable system using keypad presses and such. The company needed to go to PA to get training for their high end Homeworks system. It was clear who was qualified to work on what system...though there were still issues with becoming a dealer but you could still work with suppliers which prevented you from ordering directly but you could still do it. Now you have Level 1 and Level 2 even within Radio Ra2 and now they're having "Lutron Pro" who deal with Caseta and then all the old time dealers are grandfathered in so I don't even know how things are done now so I really hope Lutron unifies some of these. But still at the end, the customer should get what they need IMO...they're not dumb either and if they find out later that you sold them the wrong system, they may not be all too happy about it.