Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SmartThings & Caseta

SmartThings & Caseta

I've been using SmartThings since they launched a couple of years ago. While I think it's probably the best of the consumer DIY HA systems right now, it's still not all that great especially with lighting. But they do have many HA software and hardware components that Caseta doesn't have (yet anyway). Do you think Lutron would ever consider integrating with ST's? I'm wondering if Lutron is more interested in being in the HomeKit model (if it ever takes off) than ST especially since Samsung now owns ST.

I am a Smartthings advocate and love the hub and all it integrates. I just switched almost all of my zwave switches to the lutron caseta wireless dimmers, 2 lutron on and off switches and 1 wireless on and off fan switch. I emailed Smartthings and the support person told me as long as people are emailing them asking for support they will look at adding the integration.

Now, the best part about Smartthings is how it integrates into Logictecs Harmony Hub. If you have the harmony elite hub then you'll be able to control you lutron caseta wireless switches in Smartthings and also using Amazon Echo. :)

I posted this in a different post but will repost here(let me know what you think and please bombard Smartthings support to add lutron integrations)

I have a Smarttthings hub (v2), Harmony Elite Hub (which integrated with both Lutron and Smartthings). Here is how I got all my lutron Caseta dimmers and on/off lutron wireless switches to work with Amazon Alexa (not using IFTTT):
    1. Login to lutron through the harmony hub integration and checked to make sure I can see my lutron light switches on my harmony app.
    2. Create individual activities in my harmony hub to turn on/off a Caseta wireless switches.
    2. In my smartthings app I logged into the smartapp for Logictechs harmony and it discovered my harmony hub and all the activities I created (individual activities for each lutron switch).
    4. Selected all the activities and saved in Smartthings.
    5. Went to my things room and I was able to see the lutron light switches in Smartthings and could turn them on and off my my Smartthings app.
    6. Linked my Smartthings account in Amazon Echo's connected home and then had Alexa discovery my devices.
    7. I can now turn on and off all my lutron lights. The only thing I can't do is use the native dimmer commands to dim the lights; however, I can make activities if I wanted to get crazy for each lutron switch but I figured I'd wait until lutron releases the integration (which I heard from a lutron employee that it is supposed to happen in 30-45 days).

Anyway, while I wait this works very well and is much more responsive than IFTTT.

Setup question

Quote Originally Posted by ajgurrieri View Post
    I am a Smartthings advocate and love the hub and all it integrates. I just switched almost all of my zwave switches to the lutron caseta wireless dimmers, 2 lutron on and off switches and 1 wireless on and off fan switch. I emailed Smartthings and the support person told me as long as people are emailing them asking for support they will look at adding the integration.

Now, the best part about Smartthings is how it integrates into Logictecs Harmony Hub. If you have the harmony elite hub then you'll be able to control you lutron caseta wireless switches in Smartthings and also using Amazon Echo. :)

I posted this in a different post but will repost here(let me know what you think and please bombard Smartthings support to add lutron integrations)

I have a Smarttthings hub (v2), Harmony Elite Hub (which integrated with both Lutron and Smartthings). Here is how I got all my lutron Caseta dimmers and on/off lutron wireless switches to work with Amazon Alexa (not using IFTTT):
    1. Login to lutron through the harmony hub integration and checked to make sure I can see my lutron light switches on my harmony app.
    2. Create individual activities in my harmony hub to turn on/off a Caseta wireless switches.
    2. In my smartthings app I logged into the smartapp for Logictechs harmony and it discovered my harmony hub and all the activities I created (individual activities for each lutron switch).
    4. Selected all the activities and saved in Smartthings.
    5. Went to my things room and I was able to see the lutron light switches in Smartthings and could turn them on and off my my Smartthings app.
    6. Linked my Smartthings account in Amazon Echo's connected home and then had Alexa discovery my devices.
    7. I can now turn on and off all my lutron lights. The only thing I can't do is use the native dimmer commands to dim the lights; however, I can make activities if I wanted to get crazy for each lutron switch but I figured I'd wait until lutron releases the integration (which I heard from a lutron employee that it is supposed to happen in 30-45 days).

Anyway, while I wait this works very well and is much more responsive than IFTTT.
    I'm looking to create a setup similar to yours. I have the harmony elite with hub, Lutron Caseta in wall dimmers, and a bunch of A/V equipment. I would like to integrate my dimmer/lights with the harmony remote and different activities. From what I understand, you need the $150 Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to get the dimmer/lights connected to the harmony hub, but I didn't see your mention of the lutron smart bridge pro in your setup. Can you confirm you DON'T have a lutron smart bridge pro? I would much rather have smart things in place of the lutron smart bridge pro, as I can add smart locks, nest thermostat, as well as amazon echo in the future to control all with voice. The lutron bridge is limited to control of lutron dimmers and serena shades, and costs more than smartthings.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnblaze678 View Post
    I'm looking to create a setup similar to yours. I have the harmony elite with hub, Lutron Caseta in wall dimmers, and a bunch of A/V equipment. I would like to integrate my dimmer/lights with the harmony remote and different activities. From what I understand, you need the $150 Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to get the dimmer/lights connected to the harmony hub, but I didn't see your mention of the lutron smart bridge pro in your setup. Can you confirm you DON'T have a lutron smart bridge pro? I would much rather have smart things in place of the lutron smart bridge pro, as I can add smart locks, nest thermostat, as well as amazon echo in the future to control all with voice. The lutron bridge is limited to control of lutron dimmers and serena shades, and costs more than smartthings.
    I had to purchase the Lutron Smart Bridge pro for me to connect my harmony to the Lutron Smart Bridge and make this entire setup work.

I had to purchase the Lutron Smart Bridge pro for me to connect my harmony to the Lutron Smart Bridge and make this entire setup work.
    Thanks, that's what I assumed. That's way too many hubs. I need my harmony hub, lutron hub, smart things hub, and then amazon echo. Adding the Harmony Elite cost, that's almost $800 in hubs. I read that the wink has native lutron clear connect compatibility, and is supported by harmony. I wonder if I can just get the Wink to accomplish a similar set up.

Thanks, that's what I assumed. That's way too many hubs. I need my harmony hub, lutron hub, smart things hub, and then amazon echo. Adding the Harmony Elite cost, that's almost $800 in hubs. I read that the wink has native lutron clear connect compatibility, and is supported by harmony. I wonder if I can just get the Wink to accomplish a similar set up.
    I have tried Wink (three times before returning each hub back to Home Depot) but i am still not impressed with their response times. For example, i connected the amazon hub and some lutronm caseta in wall switches to the wink hub and issues command through my Alexa voice control and the response was always slower than my smartthings. I have the most expensive Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router as well so i know its not my home... I keep going back to wink hoping it gets better (and it is getting better but....) but so far the rsults I want in the wink hub are just not there... plus Smartthings is just so much more better than the Wink hub AND wink doesnt do Harmony yet...

I have tried Wink (three times before returning each hub back to Home Depot) but i am still not impressed with their response times. For example, i connected the amazon hub and some lutronm caseta in wall switches to the wink hub and issues command through my Alexa voice control and the response was always slower than my smartthings. I have the most expensive Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router as well so i know its not my home... I keep going back to wink hoping it gets better (and it is getting better but....) but so far the rsults I want in the wink hub are just not there... plus Smartthings is just so much more better than the Wink hub AND wink doesnt do Harmony yet...
    I've heard about slow response times with the wink. I just assumed it works with harmony hub, seems like everything else does. I may just go your route with smartthings. If I have this right, Lutron in wall dimmer>Lutron smart bridge pro>harmony hub>smartthings>amazon echo (making it voice control). Will the voice commands work to trigger the harmony activities like WATCH TV, PLAY GAME, WATCH A MOVIE?

I've heard about slow response times with the wink. I just assumed it works with harmony hub, seems like everything else does. I may just go your route with smartthings. If I have this right, Lutron in wall dimmer>Lutron smart bridge pro>harmony hub>smartthings>amazon echo (making it voice control). Will the voice commands work to trigger the harmony activities like WATCH TV, PLAY GAME, WATCH A MOVIE?
    As long as you create an activity to Watch TV, Watch Movie, etc in the Harmony Hub and then integrate your Smartthings hub with the harmony hub then you should be able to select as many activities as you want and turn them on and off with Smartthings... At this point you connect your Smartthings hub to your Amazon Echo account and have it discover new devices. Then you can say, "Alexa, turn on Watch TV" or "Alexa, Turn on Watch A Movie". What I do is name the activities like the following:
    Family Room TV
    Family Room ESPN
    Family Room HBO

then i can say, "Alexa, turn on Family Room TV" or "Alexa, turn on Family Room ESPN"..... Works like a charm. Even if you wanna change channels if you have the activity then just say it... I have 3 Harmony Hubs (family room, Master Bedroom and Loft) so when i want my kids to watch Disney in the loft i say, "Alexa, turn on Loft Disney". You love it but it will require some time to create the acitvities (if you want a ton like i do).

let me know how it goes.

Hello Aj, just wanted to report in with an update, and ask for your help. I am 80% of the way there. I bought a Smartthings hub and connected it to my harmony hub and I can control activities in either app flawlessly. I guess that's where my luck ends. I just purchased the Lutron Smart Bridge pro 2 and have been able to connect it to the Lutron app to control my lights via my smart phone. I spent a total of 3 hours with Lutron Caseta and Harmony tech support. The harmony hub will not pick up the Lutron Smart Bridge.

I have made sure to enable uPnP I my router settings, and I downloaded Fing app to verify all devices are on the same network. I even downloaded the Bonjour browser to make sure both hubs were identified, and they are. They just will not talk to eachother.

What steps did you take to get your Lutron smart bridge pro connected to your harmony hub?
    Last edited by Johnblaze678; 06-24-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Correct name

As long as you create an activity to Watch TV, Watch Movie, etc in the Harmony Hub and then integrate your Smartthings hub with the harmony hub then you should be able to select as many activities as you want and turn them on and off with Smartthings... At this point you connect your Smartthings hub to your Amazon Echo account and have it discover new devices. Then you can say, "Alexa, turn on Watch TV" or "Alexa, Turn on Watch A Movie". What I do is name the activities like the following:
    Family Room TV
    Family Room ESPN
    Family Room HBO

then i can say, "Alexa, turn on Family Room TV" or "Alexa, turn on Family Room ESPN"..... Works like a charm. Even if you wanna change channels if you have the activity then just say it... I have 3 Harmony Hubs (family room, Master Bedroom and Loft) so when i want my kids to watch Disney in the loft i say, "Alexa, turn on Loft Disney". You love it but it will require some time to create the acitvities (if you want a ton like i do).

let me know how it goes.
    Hello AJ,

Not sure if you saw my previous reply. I don't think I responded with the quote. Anyways, I am almost there to having a similar set-up. Doing it in phases, and wil need to get the Amazon echo next. I forked over funds for the smartthings hub and lutron smart bridge pro 2. I can control all my devices/activities with the smartthings app, harmony app, or harmony elite remote. I set-up my lutron smart bridge and can control my lights on the dimmer switch with the Lutron app.

Here's where things go south. I cannot get my Harmony Hub to discover my Lutron smart bridge pro. I did a bunch of troubleshooting with Lutron and Harmony tech support to no avail. I have confirmed both hubs are on the same 2.4 GHz network, and that they are discoverable via Bonjour Browser. I also made sure to enable uPnP on my router and update the firmware (Belkin N450). So both hubs work independently of eachother, but they will not talk to eachother. I can't understand what is preventing what should be a simple set-up from working.

Can you share how you connected your smart bridge pro to your harmony hub? A ton of people on Harmony and Lutron forums are having the same issue, with no apparent fix. You have obviously managed to do something many of us can't for some reason. Your experience getting it to work correctly will help a ton of us out.

Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast