Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Okay to hide Caséta switch or dimmer in electrical box?

Question Okay to hide Caséta switch or dimmer in electrical box?

I just moved to a new home where the builder tossed in a few Caséta switches, dimmers and remotes (but the remotes were never programmed!). In some cases the devices are located in *extremely* poor (illogical) places - so bad that even after 4 months, we still have trouble remembering which controls what. I've installed and programmed a few Pico remotes (with the wall-mount bracket) in sensible locations. (Wherever possible, I'm trying to avoid re-wiring and drywall destruction, so I prefer to use the remotes.) My question - in places where I'd like to *hide* the dimmer or switch (since it can now be controlled by the remote), is it okay to push the device back into the box and cover it with a plate (white plastic Eaton). Any related recommendations or concerns? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stualden View Post
    I just moved to a new home where the builder tossed in a few Caséta switches, dimmers and remotes (but the remotes were never programmed!). In some cases the devices are located in *extremely* poor (illogical) places - so bad that even after 4 months, we still have trouble remembering which controls what. I've installed and programmed a few Pico remotes (with the wall-mount bracket) in sensible locations. (Wherever possible, I'm trying to avoid re-wiring and drywall destruction, so I prefer to use the remotes.) My question - in places where I'd like to *hide* the dimmer or switch (since it can now be controlled by the remote), is it okay to push the device back into the box and cover it with a plate (white plastic Eaton). Any related recommendations or concerns? Thanks.
    I would say no. Being in a box with the solid plate would greatly reduce the ability to dissipate the heat. It's not as big of an issue as it was with incandescent but still an issue. The design of the dimmer is based on the radio being outside of the box. It doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference but it could. And I don't know how you would cram a dimmer in a box and get a blank plate over it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks randyc. These are deep triple-gang boxes and there does seem to be enough room (typically there will be only one Lutron device and one conventional switch in the box). Each device is switching (or dimming) anywhere from one to four 65BR30-style LED bulbs (which are about 9 watts each). I think I will just need to do some testing to see how hot they get and whether or not the radio reception is impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by stualden View Post
    It will probably look worse to have random blank wall plates in your house than to have the dimmers visible...