Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New install controls light and another device

New install controls light and another device

Complete noob here. I have tried searching for something similar, but I'm not even sure of the terminology to search for the right question/answer. I installed my first Caseta Lutron device today - a dimmer switch that has two blacks and a green (neutral). I replaced a switch that controls the light on our kitchen light and fan. The fan is controlled by another switch in the same gang or hole or whatever that is called. Everything went fine with the installation (the switch I removed had a neutral, a single black and a double black (two wires to one area - one via the screw and one stabbed in the back)) - I hooked the ground to the green, the single black to one black cable, and the double black to the other black cable. Turned power back on, and voila, it worked just fine. The other switch worked to power the fan as well, so I thought all was good. However, later, when I went to turn off the kitchen light, I noticed that the dining room light (a separate light/fan device) also shut off! Playing with it a little, I have determined that if the kitchen (caseta) light is on, I can control the dining room light with its normal switch, although when I turn the dining room light off, the kitchen light turns off for a second, then turns back on. If the Kitchen light (caseta) is turned off, I cannot control the dining room light. If both lights are on, and I dim using the caseta switch, both lights dim. What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? Let me know if you need pics of the wiring or other info. I don't even know what else to describe or show or what might be needed. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by johannbiermann View Post
    Complete noob here. I have tried searching for something similar, but I'm not even sure of the terminology to search for the right question/answer. I installed my first Caseta Lutron device today - a dimmer switch that has two blacks and a green (neutral). I replaced a switch that controls the light on our kitchen light and fan. The fan is controlled by another switch in the same gang or hole or whatever that is called. Everything went fine with the installation (the switch I removed had a neutral, a single black and a double black (two wires to one area - one via the screw and one stabbed in the back)) - I hooked the ground to the green, the single black to one black cable, and the double black to the other black cable. Turned power back on, and voila, it worked just fine. The other switch worked to power the fan as well, so I thought all was good. However, later, when I went to turn off the kitchen light, I noticed that the dining room light (a separate light/fan device) also shut off! Playing with it a little, I have determined that if the kitchen (caseta) light is on, I can control the dining room light with its normal switch, although when I turn the dining room light off, the kitchen light turns off for a second, then turns back on. If the Kitchen light (caseta) is turned off, I cannot control the dining room light. If both lights are on, and I dim using the caseta switch, both lights dim. What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? Let me know if you need pics of the wiring or other info. I don't even know what else to describe or show or what might be needed. Thanks for the help!
    The green/bare wire is the ground. Neutral wires are white/gray.

One of the blacks sends power up to the light (switch leg). One sends power to the next box. One brings power into the box. The switch leg should be tied to one of the blacks on the Caseta. The other two should be tied to the remaining black on the Caseta. When you installed the Caseta the power out got grouped with the switch leg instead of the power in.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The green/bare wire is the ground. Neutral wires are white/gray. One of the blacks sends power up to the light (switch leg). One sends power to the next box. One brings power into the box. The switch leg should be tied to one of the blacks on the Caseta. The other two should be tied to the remaining black on the Caseta. When you installed the Caseta the power out got grouped with the switch leg instead of the power in.
    Dang it, I knew the green was ground. I don't know why I called it the neutral (repeatedly). Ugh, told you I was a noob. There is no neutral in this equation (they are all tied together in the back), so forget I said that, sorry.So I just need to switch one of the blacks from the double black to the other black? Or switch both to the other? As in, the Caseta has Black A and Black B, I currently have black 1 (one of the black wires in the box) going to Black A, and Black 2 and 3 (the other two wires in the box) going to Black B. Do I need to switch so that Black 2 and 3 are going to A and Black 1 is going to B, or does Black 2 (or possibly Black 3) need to be tied in with Black 1 and Black A? There is probably a much more coherent way to say all of that, but I don't know that way.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The green/bare wire is the ground. Neutral wires are white/gray. One of the blacks sends power up to the light (switch leg). One sends power to the next box. One brings power into the box. The switch leg should be tied to one of the blacks on the Caseta. The other two should be tied to the remaining black on the Caseta. When you installed the Caseta the power out got grouped with the switch leg instead of the power in.
    Thank you! I figured it out! Since I didn't get a response from you (how dare you not respond immediately to a stranger! /sarcasm), I figured I would just go ahead and start playing. I first tried switching wires 2 and 3 to A and 1 to B, but it didn't do anything different. So then I switched wires 1 and 2 to A and 3 to B. That was interesting. Now the switch only controls the dining room, and nothing controls the kitchen.... Huh. Then I switched it so lines 1 and 3 went to A and 2 went to B, and voila, it worked! I still have no idea which wire is line, which is load, and which is switch, but it works! Thank you so much for the help! If I knew a way to thank you, I would do so, but for now, know that you are thanked.