Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Switch Sensor

Switch Sensor

I noticed there are alot of options for switch sensors. Passive Infrared Dimmer Sensors, Passive Infrared Sensors, Dual Technology Sensors (Then alot of different model numbers)I will explain the setup so someone can recommend the best sensor for the situation..1. Office - Sensor for when I walk in my home office. It is a normal sized room. Just an extra guest bedroom. I am in the line of light of the switch. I would like to it to pick fine motion like typing. 2. Pantry - Sensor fo when we walk in the pantry. The switch is in the pantry and not in a busy walk/traffic area.3. Downstairs guest bathroom - It is near where you come in the door to the garage so it will have heavy traffic but it is not in the line of sight, but there will be noise.4. Laundry room - it is a small room off the upstairs hallway. It will be heavy traffic and it there will be noise from the washer and dryer. (The reason I mention the noise is in my old house I had a sensor that would stay on due to the washer and dryer running)Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Squill View Post
    I noticed there are a lot of options for switch sensors. Passive Infrared Dimmer Sensors, Passive Infrared Sensors, Dual Technology Sensors (Then alot of different model numbers)I will explain the setup so someone can recommend the best sensor for the situation..

1. Office - Sensor for when I walk in my home office. It is a normal sized room. Just an extra guest bedroom. I am in the line of light of the switch. I would like to it to pick fine motion like typing.

2. Pantry - Sensor for when we walk in the pantry. The switch is in the pantry and not in a busy walk/traffic area.

3. Downstairs guest bathroom - It is near where you come in the door to the garage so it will have heavy traffic but it is not in the line of sight, but there will be noise.

4. Laundry room - it is a small room off the upstairs hallway. It will be heavy traffic and it there will be noise from the washer and dryer. (The reason I mention the noise is in my old house I had a sensor that would stay on due to the washer and dryer running)Thank you.
    Stick with the PIR. You don't need/want Ultrasonic or dual technology.

If you want to dim, use the MSCL-OP153M (unless you have 10v lighting).

If your don't want to dim and the lights are controlled from a single location, use the MS-OPS2. If they are controlled from more than one location or you need higher wattage, use the MS-OPS5.

Placement is critical. They can be affected by warm air (HVAC) and sunlight/IR. They also have a broad viewing angle (most models are at or near 150 degrees). You may have to mask off some of the lens to keep it from seeing areas you don't want.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

MS-OPS2 wire

There is a wire attached to the face of the MS-OPS2 switch (about 6 inches long) that is clearly NOT for an electrical connection. What is its purpose? Can it be cut off?

There is a bare ground wire that should be connected. There is a white neutral wire that can be used as a ground wire if no neutral is available. You should replace the white sleeve with the included green sleeve if converting it to a ground wire.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi LA S24, that wire gets connected along with the ground wire. It is meant to ground the faceplate if you decide to use a metal face plate.