Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Sunrise/Sunset - lights turning on off schedule?

Sunrise/Sunset - lights turning on off schedule?

Hello all. Last week I got 2 Caseta switches installed (and a Bridge Pro 2) for the front porch, and some flood lights on the front corners of the house. I have 2 schedules (dawn/dusk) and on Sunday I noticed that around lunchtime the lights came on. I thought maybe one of my kids (or my wife) turned them on or since there was a brief power outage this effected the scheudle, so I just ignored it. Today it happened again. It's raining today, but I don't any weather station rules or anything. Can any of you tell me off the top of your head why this might be happening? My Lutron App tells me that the Sunset rule hit. Very strange.

I have my iOS app Location Services set to 'While using the App'. Does this have an effect on how scheduling works when you are in the house?

Scheduling is controlled by the Bridge not the app. Make sure you have the time and location set correctly (settings, advanced, time and location). Make sure you don't have anything in arriving/leaving home.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Cool, I thought so. This is how it's currently configured. Could a power outage or a LAN outage cause the lights to turn on off schedule?

I only use the Lutron app to add devices to the system. I use the Home app in iOS to setup any automation. I have my exterior lights automated based on sunrise/sunset and they turn on/off at the correct times.

Quote Originally Posted by ewoodall2000 View Post
    Cool, I thought so. This is how it's currently configured. Could a power outage or a LAN outage cause the lights to turn on off schedule?
    It shouldn't. Worst case is if the power flickers and isn't enough for the Bridge to reboot an it gets stuck in some weird state. It can be off for quite a while without losing programming. You can also unplug the LAN and it will still work.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks! I'm going to go with "my kids messed with the switch and denied messing with the switch" story.

8. Likes K-n-C liked this post

Sunrise / Sunset working so far.

I just installed 20 Caseta devices in my house, and have only been up and running in the app for a couple days... I did setup Sunset and Sunrise Schedules triggering 3 sets of patio lights on switches, and some low-voltage lighting which transformer is powered by the Outdoor Smart Plug. I have "Leaving" and "Arriving" Scenes that turn on inside lights. Everything has triggered as expected so far. I am only using the iOS app, but plan to build a home-assistant setup at some point.

My neighborhood experiences frequent brown-outs, so we will see how that goes. I moved off of an old X10 system that had worked for years, but devices were failing and they are impossible to find reliable replacements. My once stable system became very unpredictable with newer replacement devices and introducing LED lighting. I was having "Poltergeist" events similar to what you described. I really hope Caseta is reliable as most information suggests, and your assumption about the kids is correct.

Did your issue resolve itself? I am curious.
    Last edited by K-n-C; 07-21-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added a line.