Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to use 0-10V dimmer with RA2 Select

How to use 0-10V dimmer with RA2 Select

I have an LED strip fixture and power supply from PureEdge Lighting that is controlled by a Lutron RRD-6NA dimmer. Unlike the many other LED fixtures/power supplies in my house controlled by the same type of dimmer, this one randomly goes out sometimes. It doesn’t trip the breaker—the light just goes out, even though the dimmer is still powered. Turning the dimmer switch off and on turns the light back on. Replacing hardware and extensive troubleshooting with PureEdge customer support, my electrician, and elsewhere has not resolved the problem, and has led to the hypothesis that a 0-10v dimmer might solve it. I see that the only Lutron dimmer for RA2 Select is the LMJ-5T-DV-B. But it’s not obvious to me how it is used. Is it installed somewhere in addition to my RRD-6NA wall control? Or would I install it and also replace the RRD-6NA with some other kind of wall control? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCoasts View Post
    I have an LED strip fixture and power supply from PureEdge Lighting that is controlled by a Lutron RRD-6NA dimmer. Unlike the many other LED fixtures/power supplies in my house controlled by the same type of dimmer, this one randomly goes out sometimes. It doesn’t trip the breaker—the light just goes out, even though the dimmer is still powered. Turning the dimmer switch off and on turns the light back on. Replacing hardware and extensive troubleshooting with PureEdge customer support, my electrician, and elsewhere has not resolved the problem, and has led to the hypothesis that a 0-10v dimmer might solve it. I see that the only Lutron dimmer for RA2 Select is the LMJ-5T-DV-B. But it’s not obvious to me how it is used. Is it installed somewhere in addition to my RRD-6NA wall control? Or would I install it and also replace the RRD-6NA with some other kind of wall control? Thanks!
    If you have a 0-10v fixture, the 6NA will NOT control it. However, some manufacturers make a combination driver where if you don't use the 10v control, you can use a non-10v dimmer. If you have a combination driver, the 6NA may be having problems identifying which type of dimming to use. You can force the 6NA into either forward or reverse phase so it doesn't have to figure it out.

The LMJ-5T is designed to me mounted to a junction box (not a wallbox). It does have control buttons on it but the intent was to control it from a keypad, Pico, etc.

0-10v controls also require a low voltage wire from the control to the driver.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    If you have a 0-10v fixture, the 6NA will NOT control it. However, some manufacturers make a combination driver where if you don't use the 10v control, you can use a non-10v dimmer. If you have a combination driver, the 6NA may be having problems identifying which type of dimming to use. You can force the 6NA into either forward or reverse phase so it doesn't have to figure it out. The LMJ-5T is designed to me mounted to a junction box (not a wallbox). It does have control buttons on it but the intent was to control it from a keypad, Pico, etc. 0-10v controls also require a low voltage wire from the control to the driver.
    Makes sense, thanks. The PureEdge driver is a combination one: it accommodates, but does not require, 0-10V dimming. So I gather if I wanted to use 0-10V dimming instead of phase dimming in my application, I’d remove the RRD-6NA, replace it with a Pico, and install the LMJ-5T in a junction box & add the necessary low voltage wire between it and the PureEdge driver.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCoasts View Post
    Makes sense, thanks. The PureEdge driver is a combination one: it accommodates, but does not require, 0-10V dimming. So I gather if I wanted to use 0-10V dimming instead of phase dimming in my application, I’d remove the RRD-6NA, replace it with a Pico, and install the LMJ-5T in a junction box & add the necessary low voltage wire between it and the PureEdge driver.
    Correct. My experience with 10v dimming is that it isn't very smooth. It typically requires a higher low-end trim setting so you don't get as much dimming range.

The driver you have may be able to detect what type of dimming to use or you may have to do something to tell the driver not to use 10v (possibly shorting out the 10v leads, a switch on the driver, etc.).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com