Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4-WAY wiring and 'master' placement of MSCL-OP153MH Motion Dimmer, and Companions

4-WAY wiring and 'master' placement of MSCL-OP153MH Motion Dimmer, and Companions

I had a 3-way (Power and Load on one side), 4-way, and a 3-way switch in my old circuit. I see I cannot retain my 4-way switch and use Maestro dimmer. So, I purchased two companion dimmers.I have read somewhat conflicting information on these Maestro dimmers, as far as wiring, flagging, and placement of 'master' in the chain. Some have stated you can have master anywhere in chain, and a Lutron document states master dimmer, refered to as 'dimmer' should be on the load end of the chain. My master is motion activated, and I prefer the motion be at end of the chain. I can run a load to this location to my light. I have read somewhere that the dimmers and can interchanged in locations between master and companions.I purchased 1 x MSCL-OP153MH-WH (motion dimmer), and two companions (MA-RR-WH).I have traced all wires and gave them an ID letter, so I can exactly wire, as needed. If I'm going to run a new load to my lights, I want to make sure I get it right.Does the feed power need to start at the master or companion? Must companion or master be at feed end, or light/load end? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MacEwen View Post
    I had a 3-way (Power and Load on one side), 4-way, and a 3-way switch in my old circuit. I see I cannot retain my 4-way switch and use Maestro dimmer. So, I purchased two companion dimmers.I have read somewhat conflicting information on these Maestro dimmers, as far as wiring, flagging, and placement of 'master' in the chain. Some have stated you can have master anywhere in chain, and a Lutron document states master dimmer, refered to as 'dimmer' should be on the load end of the chain. My master is motion activated, and I prefer the motion be at end of the chain. I can run a load to this location to my light. I have read somewhere that the dimmers and can interchanged in locations between master and companions.I purchased 1 x MSCL-OP153MH-WH (motion dimmer), and two companions (MA-RR-WH).I have traced all wires and gave them an ID letter, so I can exactly wire, as needed. If I'm going to run a new load to my lights, I want to make sure I get it right.Does the feed power need to start at the master or companion? Must companion or master be at feed end, or light/load end? Thanks!
    If your "master" device has a neutral connection it needs to be at the end where the wire goes up to the light. You can put your sensor at any of the 3 locations.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com