Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Smart Bridge consideration but question about Geofencing with multiple people

Smart Bridge consideration but question about Geofencing with multiple people

I currently have two Caseta dimmers (bedroom and theater), three Philips hue bulbs outside, a Harmony Smart Control setup (theater), and a Nest thermostat and smoke detectors.

I was considering the Smart Bridge so that I could control the lights in my theater and I could control the bedroom light from away for the dog at night. I would rig it to the Harmony though ultimately I would like to get rid of the Harmony and use something lighter in conjunction with HDMI-CEC for device control. I have my Hue bulbs set up with their Hub and the Harmony to turn on/off with sunset/sunrise.

I saw that the Smart Bridge has Geofencing controls. Currently I have an app on my phone and my wife's phone so that both of us aren't home the Nest is set to away. If at least one of us home the Nest is set to home. Will the geofencing work with multiple people like this? If I have the Lutron app on my phone and tablets will it know that the tablets stay home but if the phones (my wife's and mine) leave the house then we are in fact away? I don't want to leave home and while my wife is still there have the Nest set to away. Also, it seems like the Smart Bridge could also control the Hue bulbs like I am currently doing with the Harmony. Is this correct and would the Smart Bridge also allow me to get rid of Phillips hub (they are single color bulbs)?

Lastly, I'm hopeful Lutron will add support for Google Weave. I do not have, nor want, anything Apple in the house so Homekit isn't doing me any good currently. Also, it's a shame there is nothing caseta with fan control. Either fan only support or fan and light dimmer in one pole. I only see Maestro support for fans.

Lutron Technical Support
    Geofencing on the Caseta app does not have the ability to control Nest devices. You can only control the Nest thermostat from the main screen of the Caseta app. Geofencing can only trigger manual scenes that are programmed to the app.

Also, geofencing doesn't have the logic to detect that someone is still within the radius when someone else enters or leaves. If you have geofencing on, and someone crosses the set radius, the system will trigger whatever scene is programmed to be triggered, no matter if there is a second person in the radius or not.

Here is a link to our list of approved LEDs that our dimmers can dim: http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf
    See pages 46-59 for all three of the Caseta dimmers.

We are looking to expand the Caseta line of products over time. I will forward your suggestion for a fan control, and Google Weave, over to our engineering department. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Geofencing on the Caseta app does not have the ability to control Nest devices. You can only control the Nest thermostat from the main screen of the Caseta app. Geofencing can only trigger manual scenes that are programmed to the app.

Also, geofencing doesn't have the logic to detect that someone is still within the radius when someone else enters or leaves. If you have geofencing on, and someone crosses the set radius, the system will trigger whatever scene is programmed to be triggered, no matter if there is a second person in the radius or not.

Here is a link to our list of approved LEDs that our dimmers can dim: http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf

We are looking to expand the Caseta line of products over time. I will forward your suggestion for a fan control, and Google Weave, over to our engineering department. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Thanks Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by drhill View Post
    Lastly, I'm hopeful Lutron will add support for Google Weave.
    Google Weave does not exist yet, all you can do for now is register for the news announcements, whenever those might happen. It would be pretty hard to add support for something which does not even have a release date yet! :)

https://developers.google.com/brillo/

Google's OnHub already shipped with Brillo and Weave support... Though it may not be finalized yet.
    https://on.google.com/hub/

Don't be silly it you think a company like Lutron can't get early API access. That site is for alerting small developers and startups.

You are right, and they did it recently with HomeKit and Apple Watch. I'm sure they could do it again with Weave and Brillo, if they are up for it. However, none of us will know what exactly it is - until more information is announced. As for now, OnHub is a "mytery box" -

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...leap-of-faith/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post

Hi Brian,

Are there any plans to add logic that detect that all occupants are gone before initiating a scene? I am currently a smartthings user and I am looking for a better product. Lutron seems to be the best when it comes to lighting. I can say however that the geofencing from smartthings works very well and is a nice option. Any plans on adding the third party integrations into the scenes so that they can be included ( thermostats and alarms) ? I may ultimately end up with control4 but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.