Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wiring Help

Unhappy Wiring Help

I'm trying to install a Lutron C-L Dimmer for a light switched from two locations. Unfortunately, the switch I want to replace has two black wires, two red wires and a ground wire. I can't figure out how to wire this configuration to the dimmer switch. I tried tying all three black wires together but that configuration disables the second switch to the light. Can anyone tell me how to properly hook up the dimmer in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I'm trying to install a Lutron C-L Dimmer for a light switched from two locations. Unfortunately, the switch I want to replace has two black wires, two red wires and a ground wire. I can't figure out how to wire this configuration to the dimmer switch. I tried tying all three black wires together but that configuration disables the second switch to the light. Can anyone tell me how to properly hook up the dimmer in this case?
    What you are describing is a 4-way switch. If your lights are controlled from 2 locations you have (2) 3-way switches. If they are controlled from 3 or more locations you have (2) 3-way switches with 4-way switches in between.

If you are using an electronic dimmer (like Maestro) you will need companion dimmers (MA-R) at the other locations. Determine which of the black wires is bringing power to the switch and connect it to the black terminal. Connect the other black wire to the brass terminal. Connect both red wires to the blue terminal.

If you are using a mechanical dimmer (like Diva) you will need to place the dimmer at one of the 3-way locations.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

wiring diva cl dimmer to replace a 4 way switch.

do I attach both black wires to the black wire on the dimmer?

Thank you for the tip. I bought a Maestro dimmer yesterday. Just so I’m clear, you are saying that I need to purchase a second one for the other switch? Is there a reason the original switch won’t work?

The ground wire (usually the green or copper wire) should be connected to the dedicated grounding location on the Lutron CL Dimmer. Make sure your ground wire is tightly and securely connected. aa route planner

I bought a Lutron AYCL-153P dimmer for a single switch, single LED fixture circuit. It works but the on-off toggle position is inverted. The toggle is up when the light is off, and the toggle is down when the light is on. Is there any way to reverse the toggle position without mounting the switch/dimmer upside down?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Bob. Welcome to the forum! To fix your issue, please remove the wire you have connected to the brass screw and move it to the other brass screw. The connections should look like the diagram below: