Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Location of Caséta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer PRO and mechanical switch may be reversed?

Location of Caséta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer PRO and mechanical switch may be reversed?

The diagrams (for use with a mechanical 3-way) show the caseta pro dimmer on the load side. The instructions say location can be reversed. Does this mean the dimmer can be installed on the line side? I have some situations where either I'd prefer, or am forced, to install the dimmer on the line side, and keep the mechanical switch on the load side.The "manage attachments" is not working, so here's the rough "schematic":Line 14/2 (black/white) > [caseta pro dimmer box] > 14/3 (black/red/white) > [mechanical 3-way box] > Load 14/2 (black/white)In absence of my uploading my attempt at a diagram, does anyone have a schematic for this configuration?If this does not work, then what does "locations reversed" actually mean?

After looking at the instructions again... It appears that it should work if I just ignore the fact that one side is line (14/2) and the other is load (14/2), and think of them as location 1 and 2 respectively instead. If I do this...This would mean that "line/hot" black wire would connect to the red on the PRO dimmer (instead of the red wire connecting to the light/load's black wire). Is this correct, and will function as intended?

And after some more searching... I believe I have found the answer:http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/368-4493_Page_34.pdf"hook it up blindly as instructed, but swap the connections you would have made at the red/black wires on the dimmer"That was a little too difficult to find... Two different documents for the two different configurations. It would have been nice to have it all in one place :)