Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring a switch (not dimmer) 3 way

Wiring a switch (not dimmer) 3 way

I currently have a 3 way light controlled by two toggle switches. I have a Caseta PD-5ANS (actually I have two of them) and I’d like to replace one (or both) of the toggle switches so that I’ll be able to turn the light on or off at both switches AND using my smartphone.

I already have the home bridge unit. The wiring in that area of my house has neutral wires.

I followed the instructions in the following video but I couldn’t get it to work:
    https://youtu.be/OQe5Ja0k7rA

Is there a way to accomplish this with what I have? Is a Pico remote required?

Thanks!

You can't use 2 PD-5ANS to control the same set of lights. You can use 1 PD-5ANS with one of the existing mechanical 3-way switches. See link below. Basically you are using the old switch as a contact closure. When the PD-5ANS sees a change on the blue terminal it with toggle power.

Make sure you connect the neutral. It may say optional but life is better if you connect the neutral.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I’m closer but still doesn’t work

Super useful info! Thanks. It’s still not working, but I’m closer. The green indicator light on the smart switch illuminates, and the indicator light responds to a change in the mechanical switch. However, the lights still don’t turn on!

Any advice about what I should try next would be appreciated. Check that all the wire caps are tight? Try different light bulbs?

Update

I briefly had the indicator light responding to the mechanical toggle switch - and then it stopped working. I briefly got the lights to turn on - and then it stopped working. I’ve tried two different PD-5ANS switches so it’s not that the product is defective. I’m starting to think that the wiring or voltage in my house is just incompatible with this product.

I bought these switches lightly used. Is it possible that they need a factory reset? If so how? I tried pressing on 3 times and holding the third press. That didn’t seem to do anything.

I got it!

I read a response by Randyc to another user, which linked to a diagram. I tried that configuration and now it’s working perfectly.
    https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...3320#post33320

Randyc, thank you!