Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Simple Solution for a Room Full of Lamps

Simple Solution for a Room Full of Lamps

Greeting friends! I'm trying to put together a lighting plan for a living room full of lamps (five to be exact). I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to conclusively determine exactly what I need to get this done. Here's what I'm trying to do: • I want the system to be very functional without the need for the app (although I fully understand the usefulness and importance of the app for programming, fine-tuning, etc.). • I want the five lamps to be dimmable. They're all on different plugs, so I figure five separate Lutron Casata Plug-In Dimmers is where I need to start (after the Smart Bridge of course). • I would like to be able to use one of the Pico Wireless Remotes that comes with the Plug-In Dimmers to do a general on/off and dimming of all five bulbs. • I would then like to add some functionality to this set-up by utilizing scenes. To do this without the app, I though I could use a Pico 4-button Scene Keypad (preferably one without any engraved text—does this exist?). I would like to be able to program in four separate scenes into the remote but I'm currently unclear if it's possible to over-ride all four of the buttons. I would then put this Keypad side by side with the Pico Wireless Remote in a 2-gang plate. Nice, simple and clean. And lots of functionality without the use of the app. So the main questions I have about this set up are as follows: 1. When the lamps are connected to the plug-in dimmers, can one of the Pico remotes that comes with the plug-in dimmers control all five of my lamps? I understand control of individual lamps is not possible with only one remote, but I want to ensure one remote can universally control (on/off/dim) the five lamps. 2. Can the Pico 4-button Scene Keypads be re-programmed to include four distinct scenes (not including fully on or fully off, as those states would be handled with the Pico Wireless Remote)? 3. Is there a Pico 4-button Scene Keypad that will work with this system available without any engraving? 4. Is there anything I'm missing from this set-up? Thank you for reading this. I look forward to your suggestions! Bryan Winnipeg, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bdscott742 View Post
    Greeting friends! I'm trying to put together a lighting plan for a living room full of lamps (five to be exact). I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to conclusively determine exactly what I need to get this done.
    Here's what I'm trying to do:
    • I want the system to be very functional without the need for the app (although I fully understand the usefulness and importance of the app for programming, fine-tuning, etc.).
    • I want the five lamps to be dimmable. They're all on different plugs, so I figure five separate Lutron Casata Plug-In Dimmers is where I need to start (after the Smart Bridge of course).
    • I would like to be able to use one of the Pico Wireless Remotes that comes with the Plug-In Dimmers to do a general on/off and dimming of all five bulbs.
    • I would then like to add some functionality to this set-up by utilizing scenes. To do this without the app, I though I could use a Pico 4-button Scene Keypad (preferably one without any engraved text—does this exist?).
    I would like to be able to program in four separate scenes into the remote but I'm currently unclear if it's possible to over-ride all four of the buttons. I would then put this Keypad side by side with the Pico Wireless Remote in a 2-gang plate.

Nice, simple and clean. And lots of functionality without the use of the app. So the main questions I have about this set up are as follows:
    1. When the lamps are connected to the plug-in dimmers, can one of the Pico remotes that comes with the plug-in dimmers control all five of my lamps? I understand control of individual lamps is not possible with only one remote, but I want to ensure one remote can universally control (on/off/dim) the five lamps.
    2. Can the Pico 4-button Scene Keypads be re-programmed to include four distinct scenes (not including fully on or fully off, as those states would be handled with the Pico Wireless Remote)?
    3. Is there a Pico 4-button Scene Keypad that will work with this system available without any engraving?
    4. Is there anything I'm missing from this set-up? Thank you for reading this. I look forward to your suggestions! Bryan Winnipeg, Canada
    1. Yes. Any Pico can control up to 74 devices. (75 is the max number of devices in a Caseta system).
    2. Yes. Keep in mind, all of the buttons are single action. If you program button 1 to turn the lights on, you will need another button to turn them off.
    3. Yes. The PJ2-4B-L31 seems to be ideal for what you are describing. It has 3 scene buttons and off. It does have icons on the buttons.
    4. You could program the system without the bridge. You can have ~10 device in a non-bridged system. Manual programming isn't exactly easy. The app is free. If you are buying a bridge I'd use the app for setup. Once setup is complete you won't need to use the app.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Great! Thanks for the response! One bit of clarification:

If I’ve got the Pico remote alongside the 4-button scene remote, I could use the Pico remote to turn on and off the system and the 4-button remote for four other scenes right? In other words, it would okay if I lost the “off” functionality in the 4-button remote because it would be available in the other one. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,
    Bryan

@Bdscott742- What you are asking sounds reasonable, but I've never tried to set the bottom button of the 4 button pico to anything other than all off. I would use the app and edit the pico in question.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Okay I think I'm getting there. I suppose I have two more questions. I just need to confirm 100% that the 4-button scene remote (PJ2-4B-GWH-P03, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...PNL58K12&psc=1) is compatible with the Caseta system. I also just want to confirm once again that there are no 4-button scene remotes (Casata compatible) that have no engravings or icons on them as the PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 and other models I've seen contains labeling that doesn't work for me. Thanks all! Bryan

THe P03 is compatible with Caseta.

I call Lutron customer service and see if they will sell you a 4B with no engraving or icons. It's probably a no but it seems critical to you so a 5 minute call may be worth it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    THe P03 is compatible with Caseta. I call Lutron customer service and see if they will sell you a 4B with no engraving or icons. It's probably a no but it seems critical to you so a 5 minute call may be worth it.
    Okay, great, thanks for your help. Good idea bout giving them a call! Bryan

I have programmed the bottom botton of a 4-button pico to turn on some lights. It works just fine!

You can do what you want as noted before in the thread - and you can get exactly what you want (with some disassembly and redundancy) however some caveats:1. Yes get the standard 5 button Pico Remote PJ2-3BRL-WH-L01R for this - you can set it up without the hub/app (but its easier with the app) 2. Some can and some can't - the cheapest ones can't You will need a PJ2-4B-TSW-P01, PJ2-4B-TSW-P02 or PJ2-4B-TSW-P03 - all the others have a defined 'room all off' on the bottom button - these all do have engraved words You will need the hub/app to program these fully.3. Not really - the basic PJ2-4B-GWH-L31 have the most minimal engraving (its not nothing, but its just small bulb icons - No words) What I'd suggest is get a -P01/-P02/-P03 4 button and an -L31. Take the face plates off both (as if you were changing a battery - screwdriver in the slot) then ease the circuit boards out of the casing (unclip the tabs on the right - its very easy - then swap the boards over. You will have a minimal looking fully capable remote and some spare parts and a spare battery. This will get you closest to what you want and will work very well (I use multiple of basically this exact set-up - with custom engraved plates). In the app you can set for each of the 4 buttons what lamps it controls and program individual levels for all of them. The other 4 buttons picos require all buttons control the exact same lamps and the bottom button is always - room all off.4. It should work well .Alan

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    I have programmed the bottom botton of a 4-button pico to turn on some lights. It works just fine!
    Rather misleading - since its true only on some Pico's - and NOT on the most common kinds