Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (mostly) Whole-house installation COMPLETE!

(mostly) Whole-house installation COMPLETE!

After considerable planning and many forum posts that you guys have helpfully answered I've completed my (mostly) whole-house Caseta installation. Attached are a few pictures showing the results. I believe that I used every Caseta device in my installation (SBP, dimmers, PRO dimmer, PRO switch, lamp dimmer, 2 & 3 button Picos, and even the 4-button scene Pico). I also mixed in some Maestro devices where I didn't need automation control (e.g. powder room) or needed more control than Caseta offers (e.g. motion sensor, timed switches for bathroom exhaust fans, etc). In total I replaced 40 switches so I'll be bumping up against that 50 device limit pretty soon once I start adding shades, thermostats, and more Picos. Hint, hint Lutron!

The planning probably took as much or more time than the actual installation. I have a bunch of mult-gang boxes so that made installation a little more difficult. So far I'm loving the system. I've had a few minor issues on the app side of things, but the system hardware has been rock solid. I get a wireless range of 50' without any problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg  

2. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    if you are using the SMB-Pro, you can control multiple bridges using roomie remote. I have my doubts Lutron will up the device limits

I haven't tried that yet, but, assuming you are using v2 bridges, you should be able to add several Caseta bridges to one HomeKit Home, and after that you should be able to create cross-bridge scenes in any HomeKit compatible app and recall it with single tap (or ask Siri to set that scene).

Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    After considerable planning and many forum posts that you guys have helpfully answered I've completed my (mostly) whole-house Caseta installation. Attached are a few pictures showing the results. I believe that I used every Caseta device in my installation (SBP, dimmers, PRO dimmer, PRO switch, lamp dimmer, 2 & 3 button Picos, and even the 4-button scene Pico). I also mixed in some Maestro devices where I didn't need automation control (e.g. powder room) or needed more control than Caseta offers (e.g. motion sensor, timed switches for bathroom exhaust fans, etc). In total I replaced 40 switches so I'll be bumping up against that 50 device limit pretty soon once I start adding shades, thermostats, and more Picos. Hint, hint Lutron!

The planning probably took as much or more time than the actual installation. I have a bunch of mult-gang boxes so that made installation a little more difficult. So far I'm loving the system. I've had a few minor issues on the app side of things, but the system hardware has been rock solid. I get a wireless range of 50' without any problems.

Hi there,

I am *very* *very* interested in where you found the multi-switch plates?? It's exactly what I have been looking for! I have several locations in my house with 2 or 3 switches, and i've been banging my head against most forward...

Did you have to add additional jboxes to fit the Lutron switches or did you fit them all side by side in existing blue jboxes?

Quote Originally Posted by sbjordal View Post
    I am *very* *very* interested in where you found the multi-switch plates??
    I ordered all of my plate covers online because no one stocked them locally (plus I ordered the matte white "snow" colored plates instead of the glossy white ones).

Quote Originally Posted by sbjordal View Post
    Did you have to add additional jboxes to fit the Lutron switches or did you fit them all side by side in existing blue jboxes?
    All of the Lutron switches fit into my existing boxes.

Thank you sir for the quick reply!

Also, keep in mind that most Caseta devices are Gloss, and the Snow plates are Satin Colors, which is a matte white finish. Lutron Claro plates are the gloss finish.

CW-1-WH Gloss 1 gang white
    CW-2-WH Gloss 2 gang white
    Etc, Etc... up to 6 gang.

Great setup, I have been asking Lutron for a long time what I am suppose to do when I hit 50. Currently at 43 and would love to add more switches and blinds. They have yet even answer me. I did buy an extra bridge and thought about putting a room or floor on a different bridge but would be a pain with the lutron app. Would be interesting to see what would happen with a homekit app and two bridges.

Looks great! Newly introduced to the Caseta product myself. I am just about to start installing in our now nearly-finished basement, with thoughts toward retrofitting the rest of the house eventually. Can I ask where you sourced the Caseta on/off switch? I'm finding that they are hard to come by locally, and several of the places I've looked online list them at a higher cost that what you'd pay for a dimmer/Pico 2 pack. I know that you can disable the dimming function, but having the on/off version in my setup would look a little better in my mind, and maybe help the users distinguish controls in those 3-4 gang boxes.

Also, I see you used a Maestro for a timer switch. So nothing available in the Caseta line for that I presume? I'd think there would be some market for timers & motion detectors for those whole home guys who want to be able to see what's going on in the entire house from the comfort of your Lazyboy ;) Not that I'm one of those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast