Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: confused about what switch to use

confused about what switch to use

I have a single pole light switch at each end of a room. I want to be able to control both lights from either end of the room. I don't need dimming or a hub. I am confused about which switch or switch accessary I need. I think I will need a Pico remote at each switch. Any help would be appreciated.

You could use a switch at each location controlling its light, and a separate wall mount pico adjacent programmed to control both lights. Alternatively, you could just put a single smart switch at each location, and use some third party integration app like Apple home to detect when switch A turns on, and command switch B to turn on in response, and vice versa. I used this to do things like turn on lights in multiple ‘rooms’ by motion sensor (Lutron motion sensors will only command devices assigned to the room they are assigned to) and it works well, although there is a perceptible latency between the commanded events. Disadvantage of this approach is losing the ability to easily control the lights independently if you should wish to do so.

(note you would need a hub for this. And do you need a hub to program a pico to more than one switch? Can’t recall off the top of my head, but I think so.)

I’d also suggest thinking hard about dimmers with regard to your use cases, particularly in areas with multiple sources of illumination. I’ve found that as I fool around with the systems with automation, I like the dimmers more than I thought I would, and find more uses for them. You might set a light to come on at one level by some automation, with the option to boost brightness as needed. Easier to put the dimmers in up front, then later you decide you’d like that ability.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Nannygoat and welcome to the forums!

To add to dangarwoods helpful reply, we would recommend utilizing a PD-6ANS Original Smart Switch at each single pole location. Then, up to 10 wireless Pico remotes can be paired directly to those switches without the need for a hub. The model of the Pico will be PJ2-2B-GWH-L01. These can mount to any surface with our PICO-WBX-ADAPT mounting hardware. Alternatively, you may use an adhesive such as double-sided tape, but this solution isn't necessarily permanent.

Note:
    The PD-6ANS will require a neutral connection in the wall box. These will appear as a bundle of white wires capped together in the back.

Thank you!

I appreciate the replies. I think I can do what I want to do now.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help