Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dual dimmer for two separate devices

Dual dimmer for two separate devices

I bought MACL-LFQ having in mind to control string lights of small incandescent light bulbs and fan (two separate devices). After installation I find out that I can't control fan speed without connecting lights. Is there something I can change in my wiring so this will work or is there model of dimmer I should use for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned2685 View Post
    I bought MACL-LFQ having in mind to control string lights of small incandescent light bulbs and fan (two separate devices). After installation I find out that I can't control fan speed without connecting lights. Is there something I can change in my wiring so this will work or is there model of dimmer I should use for this application.
    That should work if they are both on the same circuit (breaker). Make sure you have power connected to the black terminal.

If your fan has a receiver for a remote control you will need to bypass or remove it. You still may not be able to control the fan speed. It depends on the design of the receiver.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for reply,I have 3 wires coming in the dimmer box, hot, neutral and ground (metal box). From there I have 4 wires, hot for fan, hot for light, neutral and ground going in single receptacle box with separated plugs. So, I can plug fan in one plug and lights in another. Fan does not have remote control. If lights are plug in I can turn on the fan and control speed. Light don't have to be on, just plug in in order for fan to work. If I unplug the lights fan will stop working. Another reason making me think that this is by design is "Error blink code" described here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/0301880.pdf Bottom-right you will find "Fan Indicator Light 3" error blink and that is my situation when I disconnect lights that error show and fan stop working. But I would expect, if is this by design this should be explained more clearly.Thanks for your advice

Thanks for reply,I have 3 wires coming in the dimmer box, hot, neutral and ground (metal box). From there I have 4 wires, hot for fan, hot for light, neutral and ground going in single receptacle box with separated plugs. So, I can plug fan in one plug and lights in another. Fan does not have remote control. If lights are plug in I can turn on the fan and control speed. Light don't have to be on, just plug in in order for fan to work. If I unplug the lights fan will stop working. Another reason making me think that this is by design is "Error blink code" described here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/0301880.pdf Bottom-right you will find "Fan Indicator Light 3" error blink and that is my situation when I disconnect lights that error show and fan stop working. But I would expect, if is this by design this should be explained more clearly.Thanks for your advice