Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Considering Caseta - A Few Easy Questions

Considering Caseta - A Few Easy Questions

I'm considering investing in some automation equipment and it's fair to say Caseta is currently that top of my list.I have a couple of questions if I could:1. I assume Lutron makes a big deal out of calling their "Lamp Controller" a lamp controller (i.e. it's for something specific) because the device cannot be a grounded device. Is that correct? I'm assuming (hoping) that I could, for example, use that to control a power strip with a grounded plug - although I'd need to use a grounded-to-non-grounded adapter. I'm sure Lutron would say that's not supported. But I further assume it would work. True?2. I assume a single device can exist in multiple scenes? For example, for an "Everyday Use" scene I could have a dimmer set at 100%, yet in a "Dinner Party" scene I could have that same dimmer set at 40%?3. Any device can be set to a schedule?Thanks!Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsmasher View Post
    I'm considering investing in some automation equipment and it's fair to say Caseta is currently that top of my list. I have a couple of questions if I could:

1. I assume Lutron makes a big deal out of calling their "Lamp Controller" a lamp controller (i.e. it's for something specific) because the device cannot be a grounded device. Is that correct? I'm assuming (hoping) that I could, for example, use that to control a power strip with a grounded plug - although I'd need to use a grounded-to-non-grounded adapter. I'm sure Lutron would say that's not supported. But I further assume it would work. True?

2. I assume a single device can exist in multiple scenes? For example, for an "Everyday Use" scene I could have a dimmer set at 100%, yet in a "Dinner Party" scene I could have that same dimmer set at 40%?

3. Any device can be set to a schedule?

Thanks!Jim
    1. The naming convention probably has more to do with UL requirements. Lifting the ground can cause other issues. Some devices use the ground as a reference. Some devices are smart enough to use the neutral if the ground isn't available. Some devices use the ground to dump (electrical) noise. I would not recommend it. If you really wanted to control a plug strip you could build something using a PD-6ANS and a receptacle.

2. Correct. Caseta is a last button wins system. If you press "Everyday" in the kitchen the lights will go to 100%. If, a minute later, someone presses "Party" the lights will go to 40%.

3. Dimmers, switches, and shades can be added to a schedule. Picos can not. I haven't played with the new motion sensor but my guess is no.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks!Jim