Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pico remote confusion

Pico remote confusion

The Pico remote ecosystem has to be the most unnecessarily over-complicated thing that I've seen in a long time. After hours and hours of research, I can't for the life of me figure out which version actually does what I want, or if it's even possible. All i want to do is use a Pico remote to recall scenes that I've configured in the Caseta app, or barring that, at least be able to set levels for each light for each button on the remote. I've narrowed it down to a few options that i *think* do what I want but I'm a bit lost; PJ2-4B-GWH-L31, PJ2-4B-GWH-P01/P02/P03, PJ2-4B-GWH-EL2/ES2 I have what I think is an ES2 model, although the button markings match the S31 version. I thought this was just an EL2 with different engravings on the buttons. When I go to configure it in the Caseta app, I can only select what devices to control for the entire remote, and have no ability to set levels for each button. It just gives me 1/3, 2/3, and full for all selected devices, with no individual level control. I also can't select one of my pre-programmed scenes in the app. So, in the likely event that I have the wrong remote, which version (or versions) actually give me the control that I want? Also why the heck does the forum keep eating all my formatting?

Quote Originally Posted by vockleya View Post
    The Pico remote ecosystem has to be the most unnecessarily over-complicated thing that I've seen in a long time. After hours and hours of research, I can't for the life of me figure out which version actually does what I want, or if it's even possible. All i want to do is use a Pico remote to recall scenes that I've configured in the Caseta app, or barring that, at least be able to set levels for each light for each button on the remote. I've narrowed it down to a few options that i *think* do what I want but I'm a bit lost; PJ2-4B-GWH-L31, PJ2-4B-GWH-P01/P02/P03, PJ2-4B-GWH-EL2/ES2 I have what I think is an ES2 model, although the button markings match the S31 version. I thought this was just an EL2 with different engravings on the buttons. When I go to configure it in the Caseta app, I can only select what devices to control for the entire remote, and have no ability to set levels for each button. It just gives me 1/3, 2/3, and full for all selected devices, with no individual level control. I also can't select one of my pre-programmed scenes in the app. So, in the likely event that I have the wrong remote, which version (or versions) actually give me the control that I want? Also why the heck does the forum keep eating all my formatting?
    The formatting thing has been broken for a while.

I agree. There are too many model numbers. If it helps, they just added 5 more. The 4B has P11, P12, & P13 engraving options. The 2B has P11 & P12.

I don't have a Caseta system to test but the L31 will do what you are describing in RadioRA 2. There is a check box in RA2 to "use group programming." Which means what ever is on button 1 has to be on button 2, etc. Obviously you want to turn that off.

Also, all of the buttons are single action. You can't turn lights on with button 1 then press button 1 again to turn them off.

The L31 and the P## models are essentially the same device with different engraving.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

L31 vs P## Picos

>The L31 and the P## models are essentially the same device with different engraving.

That's not correct. The L31 Pico requires that each button affect every device assigned to the remote and is programmed by setting the lights as you want them and then holding down the button to set it.

The P## are true scene remotes where you set what each button does in the Lutron Home app and they are independent of each other.

For example, I have an L31 by my front door and have the 4 buttons as follows:

Living Room
    Kitchen
    Bedroom
    All Off

These are similar to arrival scenes that turn on the lights in the designated room and light the way there. When I walk out the door, I always hit the All Off to make sure everything is off. This only works because I live alone. The problem is because these are set levels and not scenes, if someone were to already be in the bedroom when I get home and hit the Living Room button, it would turn off the bedroom lights. Not good. Better to use a P## remote in that case.

Using a P## Pico I could program each button to turn on the lights in the designated room without affecting the rooms assigned to the other buttons.

What you probably meant was "The L31 and the P## models are essentially the same device with different engraving and programming." Physically they are the same, but they act differently.

Electrically they are NOT the same - the functionality in the Caseta usage is vastly different - The P01/P02/P03 remotes are much more useful but can also do everything an L31 can do.Of course they are engraved and that may not match what you want - BUT: You can program a different set of lights to be controlled from every button and there is no dedicated off button.It would be nice if you could edit the button names in he App, and it would be nice if blank buttons were available. But then there are so many things that would be nice in the App that we don't have.Alan

As a long time RadioRA Classic, RadioRA2 and now RadioRA3 homeowner/programmer I am still very confused by all the different identical-looking devices that are not otherwise compatible with RadioRA or each other so I am trying to be sure I get what I need! Currently I am looking for a Pico dimmer to use with a single light and prefer it to match the 4-button scene pad. When I select what I want, then change the parameters in the Design software, it also changes the model number to PJ2-4B-GWH-EL1. This device seems like it will work but is apparently for a scene on/off and bright/dim but I suppose a scene can be a single light. For the 4-button scene pad I picked PJ2-4B-GWH-L31 but again the Design software changed it to PJ2-4B-GWH-EL2 and all this adds to the confusion! How do L31 and EL2 differ? There seems to rhyme or reason to it all and the Lutron Web site, as nice as it looks, is more than useless to narrow down these things.